Unguessable names

• Thread starter thestormweaver
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two Nobel Prize-winning scientists, J.J. Thomson and his son George Thomson, who both studied electron behavior in the field of physics. J.J. Thomson won the prize for proving electrons were particles, while George Thomson received it for his experiment showing electrons as waves. There is also a mention of their theories possibly contradicting each other, similar to the relationship between Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics.
thestormweaver
[SOLVED] Unguessable names!

Can somebody tell me the names of the 2 nobel scientists?
One was a father who got the prize forr his theory and the other was his son who got the prize apparently for disputing his father's theory.
Please be kind enought to tell me their names and what they were researching on.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Whooo! Could you at least say which field that are supposed to be in??

e.g.

Physics, Chemistry, Medicine, Literature, Peace or Economics

J. J. Thomson won the nobel prize for showing electrons were particles, disproving the cathode ray wave theory.

George Thomson, his son carried out DeBroglie's electron diffraction experiment, showing electrons to be waves.

Geez, I really need to get out more...

But did they dispute each other or are they both correct, that is the question right?

Interesting question. From the perspective of QM, both are in effect wrong - the electron does not correlate to the classical image of an electron or a wave. It is a quantum entity that acts differently from your expectations. If I recall correctly, anyways.

I think youre close!

It is in Physics and actually the word is "apparently contradicting" his father's theory. Both the theories are vital but when one is being considered the other can't be taken into acount. Much like Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics.

1. What are unguessable names?

Unguessable names are names that are difficult to predict or guess. They are often used in encryption and security systems to make it more difficult for hackers or intruders to access sensitive information.

2. What makes a name unguessable?

A name is considered unguessable if it is randomly generated or uses a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters that cannot be easily guessed or predicted. It should also be long enough to make it difficult to brute force or guess through trial and error.

3. Why are unguessable names important?

Unguessable names are important for security purposes. They help protect sensitive information from unauthorized access and prevent malicious attacks on computer systems and networks.

4. How are unguessable names used in encryption?

In encryption, unguessable names are often used as keys to encrypt and decrypt data. This adds an extra layer of security as the encrypted data can only be accessed with the correct unguessable key, making it difficult for hackers to intercept or decipher the information.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using unguessable names?

One potential drawback of using unguessable names is that they can be difficult for users to remember. This may result in users writing down the names, which can compromise their security. It is important to strike a balance between security and usability when using unguessable names.