Terrorism panic goes too far at Area 51

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary: Originally posted by selfAdjoint But getting a fission device to set of a thermonuclear device is not obvious or easy. It took the Americans and the Russians both several years to figure out - just on paper. And that was top physicsits like Teller and Sakharov. The trick is to get the trigger to do something to cause fusion in the microsecond before its explosion blows everything apart. So what is your point? We all know this.I remember a case during the cold war where two students were used to test how easy it was to design a nuke with basic lab technology, and undergraduate level physics.
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Knapp justifies his and Chuck's activities as "patriotic" and he carefully never mentions felony. Like it or not, the secrecy at Area 51 and elsewhere is supported by Federal law, and persistent lawbreakers, however justified they feel, are going to get tossed in the clink, and no judge in the land will buy their patriotism defence.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Mr. Knapp justifies his and Chuck's activities as "patriotic" and he carefully never mentions felony. Like it or not, the secrecy at Area 51 and elsewhere is supported by Federal law, and persistent lawbreakers, however justified they feel, are going to get tossed in the clink, and no judge in the land will buy their patriotism defence.

YUP!

Really, though, what is at area 51 anyways? Considering the amount of public interest, the government must be pretty stupid to hide anything of reasonably secret value in there. It is really pretty much the least secret "top secret" sites in the world.

There couldn't possibly be trouble at area 51; it doesn't exist.

Originally posted by PhysicsRocks88
There couldn't possibly be trouble at area 51; it doesn't exist.

Whoops. I forgot.

Back in the old days it was where they tested the stealth aircraft like the SR-51 and I believe the B-2. What they are doing now, I don't want to know, and I don't want al Quaida to know either. Being a nation means having some secrets from the public. You can't find out anywhere online the real secret of making a hydrogen bomb, although there are scads of pretenders.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Back in the old days it was where they tested the stealth aircraft like the SR-51 and I believe the B-2. What they are doing now, I don't want to know, and I don't want al Quaida to know either. Being a nation means having some secrets from the public. You can't find out anywhere online the real secret of making a hydrogen bomb, although there are scads of pretenders.

It may or may not be that making a hydrogen bomb is not online. However, there are more than enough instructions in books.

It's no secret, just like it's no secret how to fly to pluto. It's the doing it part that is difficult.

Originally posted by PhysicsRocks88
It may or may not be that making a hydrogen bomb is not online. However, there are more than enough instructions in books.

It's no secret, just like it's no secret how to fly to pluto. It's the doing it part that is difficult.

So what is your point? We all know this.

I remember a case during the cold war where two students were used to test how easy it was to design a nuke with basic lab technology, and undergraduate level physics.

Read...
http://www.beloitdailynews.com/303/nuke17.htm [Broken]

Summary... they managed to design a implosion based nuke with the power of the Hiroshima bomb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, when you say "students" they were physics graduate students, at least one of them had his Ph.D. And I never said that fission bombs were secret, they are straight physics as this example shows, which is why Korea and Iran and for all I know Nauroo are on the trail of them.

But getting a fission device to set of a thermonuclear device is not obvious or easy. It took the Americans and the Russians both several years to figure out - just on paper. And that was top physicsits like Teller and Sakharov. The trick is to get the trigger to do something to cause fusion in the microsecond before its explosion blows everything apart.

1. What is the "Terrorism panic" at Area 51?

The "Terrorism panic" at Area 51 refers to the widespread fear and concern over potential terrorist attacks or threats at the secretive military base in Nevada, USA.

2. How did the Terrorism panic begin at Area 51?

The Terrorism panic at Area 51 began in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks in the United States, as there were fears that the base may be a target for future attacks due to its secretive and highly classified nature.

3. Is there evidence of actual terrorist activity at Area 51?

No, there is no evidence of any terrorist activity or threats at Area 51. The base has extensive security measures in place to prevent any unauthorized access or attacks.

4. How has the Terrorism panic affected operations at Area 51?

The Terrorism panic has led to increased security measures at Area 51, which has made it more difficult for individuals or groups to enter the base without authorization. This has also led to a heightened sense of secrecy and caution among the base's employees and personnel.

5. What are the potential consequences of the Terrorism panic at Area 51?

The Terrorism panic at Area 51 could potentially lead to negative impacts on the base's operations and research, as well as create unnecessary fear and anxiety among the public. It could also result in increased military spending on security measures, which may divert resources from other important areas.