Area of lune (Geometry problem)

• Thread starter Nebuchadnezza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses a brainteaser involving finding the area of a crescent-shaped region bounded by two circles with varying radii, and the maximum possible area of the region. It also includes assumptions and a formula for calculating the area, as well as the use of calculus to find the maximum area.
Nebuchadnezza
Here is an interesting brainteaser I found. Looking at the earlier post with the circle and the tangent, I thought people here might be interested. I do have the answer to this riddle so this is not homework by any means.

The problem goes as follows

1) Find the area of the crescent-shaped region (called a lune)
bounded by arcs of circles with radii r and R.

2) What is the maximum area of the lune ?

ZiGS4.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
For this problem I am assuming the following:

1) The radius of the red circle is fixed and the radius of the blue circle can vary
2) 0 <= r <= R
3) The blue and red circle are always placed such that the diameter of the blue circle is some chord of the red circle

With these three assumptions, the area of the lune must be half of the area of the blue circle minus the area of the circular segment formed by the diameter of the blue circle treated as a chord of the red circle. With a little bit of magic I get the following formula for the area of the lune in terms of the radius of the blue circle:
[tex]A(r) = \frac{r^2\pi}{2}+r\sqrt{R^2-r^2}-R^2Sin^{-1}(\frac{r}{R})[/tex]
Finding the maximum area of the lune requires some calculus. The expression I get is really messy and am too lazy to solve for r explicitly.

Last edited:
Likes Emmanuel_Euler

Related to Area of lune (Geometry problem)

1. What is the definition of a lune?

A lune is a geometric shape formed by two circular segments that are connected at their endpoints, creating a crescent-shaped figure.

2. How do you calculate the area of a lune?

To calculate the area of a lune, you can use the formula A = r^2(θ - sinθ), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle of the lune. Alternatively, you can use the formula A = πr^2(θ/360), where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle of the lune in degrees.

3. What is the difference between a lune and a crescent?

While a lune and a crescent are both crescent-shaped figures, a lune is a specific geometric shape formed by two circular segments, whereas a crescent can refer to any curved shape that resembles a crescent moon.

4. Can the area of a lune be negative?

No, the area of a lune cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the amount of space enclosed by the two circular segments.

5. In what real-life situations can the concept of a lune be applied?

The concept of a lune can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the area of a lunar eclipse, determining the amount of sunlight that falls on different parts of the Earth's surface during a solar eclipse, or calculating the area of a curved section in architecture or design.