Copyrights on Feyman lectures and similar works

In summary: A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory II (1999-07-27).mp3" yEnc (*/26) 21.3 days 15.4 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header (SFL Various Fill Requests) 18 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory I (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1) 21.3 days 302 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header (SFL Various Fill Requests) 17 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal,...A Mat
Achy47
I know this is a touchy subject these days.. but:

What are the specific rules for the distribution of the audio files and pdf encoded notes from the lectures of Feyman, Segal, Hawkings...etc. I came across a huge collection of these on the net (in the thousands) and was just wondering if I will get the electric chair for having anything to do with them.

They all seem to be taped course lectures rather than production quality releases. I'm almost certain that many of the professors on the list never sold commercial versions of these lectures.

btw. I googled with no success.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen the audio lectures on kazaa, i'd say it's a grey area and I would be hesitant to cross it out of respect. But don't worry, no secret police will get you for downloading the lectures. I doubt the recording industry even cares lol.

Taken into consideration Greg. I felt bad posting something that I thought was off topic in many respects.

I am posting because I have recently seen a MASSIVE flood of these on the newsgroups, paricularly in the alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.spoken-word group. They seem to be complete and impecably organized. It's too tempting to resist creating my own archive of these great works. I'm at 10 gigs and counting. If anything I can always listen in jail.:frown:

Last edited:
I have a copy of the Feynman audio lectures. They are, in fact, recorded classroom lectures. They're also sold on audio cassette (ugh!) for something rediculous like $10 an hour. It would literally cost something like $2,000 to own a legitimate copy of all of these recordings -- and that's just too absurd for me to even consider paying.

My copy of the Feynman lectures is only about 1.2 GB though -- how much other stuff have you downloaded?

Keep in mind that some organizations like MIT's open courseware are working on providing educational materials of even higher quality free of charge.

I say take 'em. You're protected under fair use copyright laws anyway, and the (heroic) guy's dead.

- Warren

Originally posted by chroot
how much other stuff have you downloaded?
QUOTE]
You might want to check out the newsgroup I mentioned to get a good idea for yourself. hint hint. Retention on most newsgroups is on the average of 20 days or so..

Kinda the purpose behind my inital post. I had to test he waters, Ya know. As a newsgroup regular I noticed it as rare. Be opportunistic. OK I'm busted.

Originally posted by Achy47
You might want to check out the newsgroup I mentioned to get a good idea for yourself.
I did. I saw nothing else related to physics.

- Warren

http://www.easynews.com

somethings wrong then.. I see 173 just in what's left.. are you using the http intreface? search for physics in alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.spoken-word

A SMALL sample of the headers I am reading now.

copy text
Feynman Flood Info "Feynman Physics Lectures posting info.txt" yEnc (*/1)
20.2 days 32 K TrumpetMan@news.astraweb.com (TrumpetMan) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 28 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35b - Graeme Segal, Notes on Symplectic Manifolds and Quantization (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/4)
21.3 days 2.2 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 27 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35a - Graeme Segal, Notes on Quantum Field Theory (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/4)
21.3 days 1.9 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 26 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory V (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
21.3 days 356 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 25 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S35 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory V (1999-07-30).mp3" yEnc (*/27)
21.3 days 16.6 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 24 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S34 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory IV (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
21.3 days 238 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 23 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S34 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory IV (1999-07-29).mp3" yEnc (*/26)
21.3 days 16.2 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 22 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S33 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory III (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
21.3 days 352 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 21 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S33 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory III (1999-07-28).mp3" yEnc (*/26)
21.3 days 15.9 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 20 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S32 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory II (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
21.3 days 318 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 19 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S32 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory II (1999-07-27).mp3" yEnc (*/29)
21.3 days 17.5 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 18 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory I (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/1)
21.3 days 271 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 17 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S31 - Graeme Segal, A Mathematician Looks at Quantum Field Theory I (1999-07-26).mp3" yEnc (*/27)
21.3 days 16.5 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 16 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S30 - Robert Wald, Some Lessons from Recent Progress in Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/5)
21.3 days 3.0 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 15 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S30 - Robert Wald, Some Lessons from Recent Progress in Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime (2003-10-20).mp3" yEnc (*/19)
21.3 days 11.6 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 11 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S28 - Daniel Styer, Nine formulations of quantum mechanics (2003-07-22).mp3" yEnc (*/12)
22.3 days 7.1 Megs sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 10 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S27 - Abhay Ashtekar, Quantum Mechanics as a Special Case of Classical Mechanics (Notes).pdf" yEnc (*/2)
22.3 days 726 K sasha@power-post.org (Sasha) header
(SFL Various Fill Requests) 09 Of 34 "Physics Lectures - S27 - Abhay Ashtekar, Quantum Mechanics as a Special Case of Classical Mechanics (1999-06-04).mp3" yEnc (*/29)

Last edited:
I use easynews. I didn't find anything else related to physics. Can you stop speaking in riddles, please, and tell me what else you expect me to find?

- Warren

It's nowhere near 10GB of material.

- Warren

bejeezus

I said "I" am up o 10 gigs. Infer as you will. Follow the group regularly and you may get the same results. bejeezus. Did I say explicitly that there are 10 gigs available for your immediate download?? get hwat you can... Or not!

Bah, I've had enough.

- Warren

1. What is a copyright and how does it apply to Feynman lectures?

A copyright is a legal protection granted to the creator of an original work, such as Feynman lectures. This gives the creator exclusive rights to reproduce, distribute, and display their work. In the case of Feynman lectures, the copyright would belong to the estate of Richard Feynman.

2. Can I use excerpts or images from Feynman lectures in my own work?

It is important to obtain permission from the copyright holder before using any material from Feynman lectures in your own work. This includes both text excerpts and images. Fair use guidelines may apply in certain circumstances, but it is best to seek permission to avoid any potential legal issues.

3. Are there any restrictions on sharing or using Feynman lectures for educational purposes?

Feynman lectures are often used for educational purposes, and in most cases, this is allowed under fair use guidelines. However, it is important to properly attribute the work to Richard Feynman and acknowledge the copyright holder. It is also advisable to limit the amount of material used and to not profit from the use of the lectures.

4. How long does a copyright on Feynman lectures last?

In the United States, the copyright on Feynman lectures would last for the life of the author plus 70 years. This means that the lectures will likely remain under copyright until at least 2048. However, copyright laws vary by country, so it is important to research the laws in your specific location.

5. Can I make translations of Feynman lectures without infringing on the copyright?

In most cases, making translations of Feynman lectures would require permission from the copyright holder. This is because translations are considered derivative works and fall under the same copyright protection as the original work. It is best to seek permission before proceeding with any translations of Feynman lectures.