Area of a Triangle from 3 sides

In summary, the question asks for the method to be used to answer a question about an altitude being drawn from the top vertex to the base of a triangle with a length of 21. The triangles formed by the altitude satisfy special Pythagorean triples, with one having a length of 17 and the other having a length of 10. By using the Pythagorean theorem, the height and length of the triangles can be calculated to be 8 and 15 respectively, resulting in an area of 84.
Carla1985
View attachment 6257

Can I have an opinion on this question, please? Personally I would use the cosine & sine rules to work out the angles then use trig to calculate the height. However, the question asks for Pythag to be used. Can someone please explain what method I should be using to answer this? Thanks

Thanks
Carla

Attachments

• IMG_9647.JPG
    IMG_9647.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 46
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Draw an altitude from the top vertex to the base who length is 21. The altitude divdes the triangle into two right triangles satisfying special Pythagorean triples. Which Pythagorean triples do these triangles satisfy?

Euge said:
Draw an altitude from the top vertex to the base who length is 21. The altitude divdes the triangle into two right triangles satisfying special Pythagorean triples. Which Pythagorean triples do these triangles satisfy?

Ok, I think I've got it.

So I have 2 right angle triangles with triples $(17,h,x)$ and $(10, 21-x,h)$. From pythag I get:

$$h^2+x^2=289$$
$$h^2+x^2-42x=-341$$

Subbing in $h^2$ into the second equation gives me $x=15$ and $h=8$. This gives me an area of $84$.

Thanks for the help!

Related to Area of a Triangle from 3 sides

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle when given all three sides?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle when given all three sides is A = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)), where s is the semi-perimeter and a, b, and c are the three sides of the triangle.

Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of space inside the triangle.

Can you find the area of a triangle if you only know the lengths of two sides?

Yes, it is possible to find the area of a triangle if you know the lengths of two sides and the angle between them. You can use the formula A = 1/2 * a * b * sin(C), where a and b are the two given sides and C is the angle between them.

What happens if the given side lengths do not form a valid triangle?

If the given side lengths do not form a valid triangle (i.e. the sum of any two sides is less than or equal to the third side), then it is not possible to find the area of the triangle. This is because the triangle does not exist in this case.

How does the area of a triangle change as the side lengths vary?

The area of a triangle will change as the side lengths vary. As the side lengths increase, the area will also increase, and vice versa. The exact relationship between the side lengths and the area will depend on the specific values of the sides and the type of triangle (e.g. equilateral, right, scalene).