Area element vector for parametric surface integrals

In summary, when doing surface integrals of surfaces described parametrically, we use the area element dA = ndS = (rv x rw)dvdw.
BomboshMan
When doing surface integrals of surfaces described parametrically, we use the area element dA = ndS = (rv x rw)dvdw

Where dS is the surface area element and v and w are the parameters.

I'm fine with the derivation of this (I think) but I don't understand why it's necessary to have n and dS together, as in not just make an expression for n and dS seperately.

I think I'm misunderstanding something because I thought n = rv x rw because this is a vector perpendicular to rv and rw therefore perpendicular to the surface. But then if this were true, according to the equation for dA at the top that would make dS = dvdw, which isn't necessarily true e.g. if v and w are polars.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what question you are asking. It certainly is possible to "make an expression for n and dS separately"- that is why they are written as different symbols. "n" is the unit normal vector at any point and "dS" is the (scalar) differential of surface area. There is, however, little use for them separately which is why many people (myself included) prefer to write "[itex]d\vec{S}[/itex]" representing the "vector differential of area", a vector perpendicular to the surface whose "length" is the scalar differential of surface area.

No, n is NOT "r_v x r_w" because n is the unit normal and r_v x r_w does not have unit length.

Well, to put it a bit provocative, I've the opposite problem than BomboshMan. I never understood, why one should split the simple area-element vector as a product of the area element and the surface-normal unit vector, if I don't need this for some purpose. Usually you need invariant surface integrals of the form
[tex]\int_{A} \mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F} \cdot \vec{V},[/tex]
where [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] is a vector field anyway, and the area-element vector is indeed given by
[tex]\mathrm{d}^2 \vec{F}=\mathrm{d} v \mathrm{d} w \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial v} \times \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial w}[/tex]
The unit vector is, of course given by
[tex]\vec{n}=\frac{\frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial v} \times \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial w}}{\left | \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial v} \times \frac{\partial \vec{r}}{\partial w} \right|}.[/tex]

I like to make the follow comparation:
[tex]\\ \int \vec{f}\cdot d\vec{r} \\ \iint \vec{f}\cdot d^2\vec{R}[/tex]
where:
[tex]\\ d\vec{r}=(dx,dy,dz) \\ d^2\vec{R}=(dydz,dzdx,dxdy)=d\vec{r} \wedge d\vec{r}[/tex]

or:
[tex]\\ \int \vec{f}\cdot \hat{t}ds \\ \iint \vec{f}\cdot \hat{n}d^2S[/tex]
where:
[tex]\\ \hat{t}=\frac{1}{\frac{dr}{dt}} \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt} \\ \\ \hat{n}= \frac{1}{\frac{d^2R}{dtds}} \frac{d^2\vec{R}}{dtds}[/tex]
[tex]\\ds=dr=\sqrt{dx^2+dy^2+dz^2} \\d^2S=d^2R=\sqrt{(dydz)^2+(dzdx)^2+(dxdy)^2}[/tex]
[tex]\\ds=\frac{dr}{dt}dt=\sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dz}{dt}\right)^2}dt
\\
\\d^2S=\frac{d^2R}{dtds}=\sqrt{\left(\frac{dydz}{dtds}\right)^2+\left( \frac{dzdx}{dtds}\right)^2+\left(\frac{dxdy}{dtds}\right)^2}dtds[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dxdy}{dtds}=\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(t,s)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree completely with you, vanhees71. It makes much more sense to me to use [itex]d\vec{S}[/itex] rather than [itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
I agree completely with you, vanhees71. It makes much more sense to me to use [itex]d\vec{S}[/itex] rather than [itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex].

me too!

Related to Area element vector for parametric surface integrals

1. What is the area element vector for a parametric surface?

The area element vector for a parametric surface is a vector that represents the infinitesimal area of the surface at a specific point. It is defined as the cross product of the partial derivatives of the surface with respect to its parameters.

2. How is the area element vector calculated?

The area element vector is calculated by taking the cross product of the partial derivatives of the parametric surface with respect to its parameters. This can be written as A = ∂r/∂u x ∂r/∂v, where r is the vector function that defines the surface and u and v are the parameters.

3. What is the significance of the area element vector in parametric surface integrals?

The area element vector is essential in calculating the surface area of a parametric surface. It is used in the formula for the surface integral, where it represents the infinitesimal area of the surface at a specific point. Without the area element vector, it would be impossible to accurately calculate the surface area.

4. How does the direction of the area element vector affect the surface integral?

The direction of the area element vector is important in determining the orientation of the surface. If the area element vector is pointing in the same direction as the normal vector of the surface, the surface integral will be positive. However, if the area element vector is pointing in the opposite direction, the surface integral will be negative.

5. Can the area element vector be used for non-parametric surfaces?

No, the area element vector is specific to parametric surfaces and cannot be used for non-parametric surfaces. Non-parametric surfaces have no parameters, so there are no partial derivatives to take the cross product of. In such cases, other methods, such as using the Jacobian matrix, must be used to calculate the surface area.