What's the best way to make a small electric generator using compressed gas?

In summary, the conversation is about the most efficient and practical way to make a small electric generator using compressed gas. Suggestions include using an electric fan, a piston/camshaft setup, or a mini gas turbine from a model plane. Various links and ideas are also shared for further exploration.
MikeKowal
Hello all:

I was wondering what is the most efficient and practical way to make a small electric generator for turning compressed gas into electricity. Gas turbines are much too large for the small project I'm trying to build.

Should I use an electric fan for the turbine? This is the cheapest, easiest way but I wonder how efficient it is.

What about a piston/camshaft set up. Pressurized air could be introduced into piston and allowed to expand, moving the piston.

What about using a model plane mini gas turbine and turning it into a little gas turbine? I think this would be the most efficient design, but the hardest to build.

Please offer me your input, or ideas for websites for me to visit.

Thank you.

Mike

Computer science news on Phys.org
MikeKowal, Welcome to PF !
I was wondering what is the most efficient and practical way to make a small electric generator for turning compressed gas into electricity.
I don’t know but take it that you are not worried about the efficiency of compressing the gas (air?... I think maybe 15%, but don’t hold me to it)?
Should I use an electric fan for the turbine? This is the cheapest, easiest way but I wonder how efficient it is.
You mean like a 12-volt automotive type fan? Yeah, probably it would be easy but not very efficient as the blades on those things are made to drive the air, not be driven by the air.
What about a piston/camshaft set up. Pressurized air could be introduced into piston and allowed to expand, moving the piston.
This sounds pretty slick. Is this what led you to;
What about using a model plane mini gas turbine and turning it into a little gas turbine? I think this would be the most efficient design, but the hardest to build.
These are little two-cycle engines aren’t they? My gut is telling me that a 4-stroke might be better, but even if it were I don’t know where you could get such a tiny engine.

[edit]
Oops,
I think my gut was wrong, thinking we were compressing.

I think I once saw a model airplane that you charged with compressed air and the air would push a piston which turned a crank that spun the propeller. I’m now thinking to try a hobby, or toy store, and look for such a thing. Replacing the propeller with a small DC motor might just do the trick.
Good luck

I'll see if I can find you a link or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check this stuff out;

Whoa, this isn't what you had in mind, but it sure is a piece of work;
http://www.netaxs.com/~mhmyers/turbine.html

Interesting info on propellers;
http://www.eskimo.com/~smallnet/JoeArticles/Propellors.html

Getting warmer now;
http://www.keveney.com/co2.html

I can't believe I actually found one;
http://www.paramountzone.com/airhog.htm

Get after it with a coke bottle;
http://www.ranney.com/~mjr/photos/airbottle/

Discontinued? what a bummer!;

Last edited by a moderator:
if there was a such thing as a water proof air ducted fan you could use that and make it like a water power plant, even with plastic blades, it can still be used, just don't get the blades too hot or they'll melt lol, which wouldn't be good and a big waste of money, I am doing a project of a electric turbine jet engine which is on the same basics as a jet fueled turbine engine, but only compresses the air and keeps compressing for max amount of thrust, made one from a kool aid bottle and 12 computer fan, 100w micro capacitor and when i turned the switch on it scooted across the table. mind you i was only 12 yrs old at that time and I am 25 now.

So if i am able to compress air to the fullest with computer fans, it can be done the same for power if the fans were water proof lol. bestest luck to you and hopefully what i told you helped.

I guess you didn't notice the other posts in this thread are more than seven years old... :uhh:

lol no i didnt see the date lol or i wouldn't of replied to it

Don't feel bad about it. "Necroposting" happens surprisingly often here, so you're far from alone. Just let it be a reminder to be careful when you find an interesting thread in a forum search. :smile:

ok thanks, i have a thread that could be interesting for ya, check it out, I am gettin some great feedback upon my project

What is a small electric generator?

A small electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a rotating shaft, a magnetic field, and an electrical conductor, and is used to power small electronic devices or appliances.

How does a small electric generator work?

A small electric generator works by using a source of mechanical energy, such as a hand crank or a spinning turbine, to turn a rotor inside the generator. The rotor is surrounded by a stationary magnetic field, which causes the electrons in the rotor to move and create an electrical current.

What are the advantages of a small electric generator?

One of the main advantages of a small electric generator is its portability. It can be easily carried and used in remote locations or during power outages. It also produces clean energy, without any emissions or pollution.

What are the common uses of a small electric generator?

Small electric generators are commonly used to power small electronic devices, such as mobile phones, laptops, and camping equipment. They can also be used to power small appliances, such as refrigerators, fans, and lights.

How do I choose the right small electric generator?

When choosing a small electric generator, consider the amount of power you need, the type of fuel it uses, and its portability. It's also important to check the generator's noise level and safety features. It's recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best generator for your specific needs.