Area and angles of iso triangle given find sides

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Law of Sines to find the length of the equal sides of an Isosceles triangle with a given area and internal angles. The formula $A_T=\frac{1}{2}B^2\sin(a)$ is mentioned and the importance of using the formula $\sin(2x) = 2\cos(x)\sin(x)$ is emphasized. The conversation ends with a question about how to start a new thread on a forum, which can be done by clicking the "+ Post New Thread" button in the appropriate forum.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Given an Isosceles triangle with the area of 100 with internal angles of
$$40^o, 70^o,70^o$$
$A=\frac{1}{2}bh$
so
$100=\frac{1}{2}\left(z\sin\left({70^O}\right)\right)\left(2z\cos\left({70^o}\right)\right)$
$z$ is length of one the equal sides

At least started here

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Consider the following diagram:

View attachment 5343

Now, using the Law of Sines, we may state:

\(\displaystyle A=B\frac{\sin(a)}{\sin(b)}\)

If we denote the area of the triangle with $A_T$, then we may also state:

\(\displaystyle A_T=\frac{1}{2}B^2\sin(a)\)

Now, just solve for $B$, and then you will know $A$ as well. Then you will have formulas that you can plug into the given data. :)

Attachments

• karush4.png
    karush4.png
    883 bytes · Views: 57
karush said:
Given an Isosceles triangle with the area of 100 with internal angles of
$$40^o, 70^o,70^o$$
$A=\frac{1}{2}bh$
so
$100=\frac{1}{2}\left(z\sin\left({70^O}\right)\right)\left(2z\cos\left({70^o}\right)\right)$
$z$ is length of one the equal sides

At least started here
I think what you have done is correct just remember that $\sin(2x) = 2\cos(x)\sin(x)$ to simplify.

MarkFL said:
Hello, Admin. How do I post a thread? No bottom to click. I can only reply. (Worried)

stud17 said:
...Hello, Admin. How do I post a thread? No bottom to click. I can only reply. (Worried)

If you browse to a forum, you will see, above and below the thread listing, large buttons labeled "+ Post New Thread" that will allow you to begin a new thread in that forum. :)

Related to Area and angles of iso triangle given find sides

1. What is an iso triangle?

An iso triangle, short for isosceles triangle, is a triangle with two sides that are equal in length. This means that two of the angles in the triangle are also equal.

2. How do you find the area of an iso triangle?

The formula for finding the area of an iso triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base of the triangle, and h is the height of the triangle. You can also use the Heron's formula, which takes into account all three sides of the triangle.

3. How do you find the angles of an iso triangle?

To find the angles of an iso triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees. If two of the angles are already known to be equal, you can divide 180 by 3 and subtract the known angle to find the remaining angle.

4. Can you find the sides of an iso triangle if the area and angles are known?

Yes, you can use the area formula (A = (1/2)bh) and the known angles to set up a system of equations and solve for the missing sides. You can also use trigonometric ratios such as sine, cosine, and tangent to find the sides.

5. What is the difference between an iso triangle and an equilateral triangle?

An iso triangle has two sides that are equal in length, while an equilateral triangle has all three sides equal in length. This means that an equilateral triangle also has all three angles equal, whereas an iso triangle has two equal angles and one different angle.