Are Two Spherical Capacitors in Series Affected by Outer Applied Voltage?

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking for help with a problem involving two spherical capacitors in series. They provide a link to the problem and explain their approach to finding the capacitance. They also mention needing help with finding the charge on the inner and outer surfaces. Another person responds with hints for solving the problem, including considering the total voltage and total charge on the inner conductors. The first person then questions if it is possible for the outer voltage to affect the inner shell.
jay3050
Hello Everybody, I am new to this site, However I have a quick question about the two spherical capacitors.

Please take a look at this link here:

http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/phys112/summer04/tmau.pl?04/05

This is a problem about two spherical capacitors and I believe they are in series, If anyone could please help me out!

If you need any more clarification please let me know!

Thank You very Much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the capacitances, put a charge +Q on the inner sphere and -Q on the outer and find the voltage difference that results. Then C=Q/V, and this can be used in the usual way to get the answers to the second part.

What is you question? Please show us something of what you have done. Yes the caps are in series.

Two Capacitors

Hello all,

I have the found the capacitance of the spheres by using

(4*pi*Epsilon(0)*a*b)/(b-a) where a & b are in meters, for the first one and for the second capacitance i used the above formula and multiplied it by the k!

All I need help is, is with finding the charge Q on the inner and and the outer surface, All I could possibly think about it is that it they are in series!

Thanks
Please Help!

jay3050 said:
(4*pi*Epsilon(0)*a*b)/(b-a) where a & b are in meters, for the first one and for the second capacitance i used the above formula and multiplied it by the k!
Good.

All I need help is, is with finding the charge Q on the inner and and the outer surface, All I could possibly think about it is that it they are in series!
Two hints:
In going around the circuit, what must the voltages add to?
Since the inner conductors are connected, what must be their total charge?

Is it actually possible? The inner shell wouldn't feel a thing of the outer applied voltage, would it? (being a conductor in electrostatic equilibrium)

Related to Are Two Spherical Capacitors in Series Affected by Outer Applied Voltage?

1. What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is an electrical component that consists of two concentric spheres, usually made of conducting material, separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the two spheres.

2. How does a spherical capacitor work?

A spherical capacitor works by storing electric charge on its two conductive spheres, creating an electric field between them. The amount of charge that can be stored depends on the distance between the spheres and the properties of the dielectric material between them.

3. What is the formula for calculating the capacitance of a spherical capacitor?

The formula for calculating the capacitance of a spherical capacitor is C = 4πεr0r1r2 / (r2 - r1), where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, r0 is the distance between the centers of the two spheres, r1 is the radius of the inner sphere, and r2 is the radius of the outer sphere.

4. What are some applications of spherical capacitors?

Spherical capacitors have a variety of applications in electronics, including in power supplies, high-voltage equipment, and radio frequency circuits. They are also used in scientific research and experimentation, such as in particle accelerators and plasma physics experiments.

5. How can I increase the capacitance of a spherical capacitor?

There are a few ways to increase the capacitance of a spherical capacitor. These include decreasing the distance between the two spheres, increasing the surface area of the spheres, and using a higher permittivity dielectric material between the spheres. However, it is important to note that there are limitations to how much the capacitance can be increased and it is important to stay within safe operating limits.