Are Transformations of Data Changing the P-P Plots?

In summary, the speaker is struggling with finding information on transformations for a computer lab task. They have completed transformations on their data but are unsure if the resulting P-P plots should be different from the original data. They are seeking help and asking for more details and images of the graphs.
maccaman
I have recently just been given a computer lab task and that is to research transformations on the net and write a 1 page essay about them, which i am finding hard to find information on them, but anyway, here is my problem. We are required using our classes data to do transformations of our data for AGE, HEIGHT, WEIGHT in SPSS. now i have done the transformations, however we must also do P-P Plots to show what the transformations have done. All the transformations i have done, Ln, Log10, Square root, of these variables, have all come back with the exact same P-P plots as the original data from the normal variables. I was wondering is this supposed to happen, because i thought transformations could make non-normal data sometimes normally distributed, whereas mine does not change at all.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
maccaman said:
I have recently just been given a computer lab task and that is to research transformations on the net and write a 1 page essay about them, which i am finding hard to find information on them, but anyway, here is my problem. We are required using our classes data to do transformations of our data for AGE, HEIGHT, WEIGHT in SPSS. now i have done the transformations, however we must also do P-P Plots to show what the transformations have done. All the transformations i have done, Ln, Log10, Square root, of these variables, have all come back with the exact same P-P plots as the original data from the normal variables. I was wondering is this supposed to happen, because i thought transformations could make non-normal data sometimes normally distributed, whereas mine does not change at all.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
The graphs should be different. Unfortunately, without seeing what you've done or the results therefrom, it's difficult to help. Can you provide more details concerning your transformations and provide images of the graphs??

To provide images of your graphs, upload to the site shown below and reference the URL's it provides.
http://www.imageshack.us

~~

It is possible that transformations of data can change the P-P plots, but it ultimately depends on the type of transformation and the data being used. In your case, it seems that the transformations you have applied (Ln, Log10, Square root) have not significantly changed the distribution of your data. This could be because your original data was already normally distributed or because the transformations were not appropriate for your data.

It is important to note that transformations are not a guaranteed method for making non-normal data normally distributed. They can help in some cases, but they should be carefully chosen and applied based on the characteristics of the data. In your case, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a statistician to determine if there are other transformations that could better suit your data.

It is also important to consider that P-P plots are just one way to assess the normality of data. It would be beneficial to also look at other measures of normality, such as skewness and kurtosis, to get a more comprehensive understanding of the distribution of your data.

In summary, while transformations can potentially change the P-P plots, it is not always the case. It is important to carefully choose and apply transformations based on the characteristics of the data, and to also consider other measures of normality in addition to P-P plots.

Related to Are Transformations of Data Changing the P-P Plots?

1. What is a transformation of data?

A transformation of data is a process of changing or modifying the original data in order to improve its usefulness or interpretability. This can include operations such as normalizing, standardizing, or converting data into a different form.

2. Why do we need to transform data?

Data transformation is necessary in order to make the data more suitable for analysis and modeling. It can help to improve the accuracy and efficiency of statistical tests, as well as to reduce the effects of outliers and skewed distributions.

3. What are the different types of data transformations?

There are several types of data transformations, including linear transformations (such as scaling or shifting data), logarithmic transformations (used to reduce skewness), and power transformations (used to stabilize variance). Other types include standardization, normalization, and categorical data transformations.

4. How do you choose the appropriate data transformation?

The appropriate data transformation depends on the specific characteristics of the data and the goals of the analysis. It is important to understand the distribution and properties of the data before choosing a transformation. Consulting with a statistician or data scientist can also be helpful in determining the best approach.

5. Can data transformation be performed on any type of data?

Data transformation can be applied to most types of data, including numerical, categorical, and textual data. However, the specific techniques and methods used may vary depending on the type of data. It is important to consider the type of data and its properties when choosing a transformation method.