Are these online master's degrees any good?

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing an online Master's degree while working in order to gain industry experience and potentially make themselves a more desirable candidate for a PhD program in the future. They are interested in online programs in astrophysics, applied mathematics, and research science. They are seeking advice and suggestions on the quality and credibility of these programs, as well as any personal experiences with them. It is noted that some employers may view online degrees with skepticism, but it is also mentioned that degrees from traditional universities with online programs may not specify if they were completed online. The commenter suggests contacting the departments of these programs for post-graduation data to evaluate their relevance and success.
TLeit
For personal reasons, I am moving to an area where there are not any larger universities that offer Master's and PhD programs, and I am also not 100% sure I want to currently pursue a PhD or not. One route that I am thinking of taking, though, is to find a job in order to see what industry is like but to pursue an online Master's degree (or two) while I am working, in order to keep myself sharp and to further my career, as well as to make myself hopefully a more desirable candidate if I decide to apply for PhD programs in a few years if I decide I prefer academia to industry. A few of the online Master's programs I have found are:
-Astrophysics (MSc) from Liverpool John Moores: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduates/astrophysics-msc
-Applied Mathematics Master's from University of Washington: https://www.appliedmathonline.uw.edu/
-Research Master in Science from Monash https://www.study.monash/courses/find-a-course/2017/science-2700?international=true (I haven't been able to find as much information about this program as the other two, so if you have any experience or further information about this program, I would love to know!)

Does anyone have any experience with these programs and are they any good? Does anyone have any suggestions for other ones they have experience with or know to be good? Thank you for any suggestions and/or advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, online masters will be regarded with a lot of skepticism and might be dismissed outright.

Likes Student100 and symbolipoint
In response to micromass' comment, that may be true if the degree says Online(or distance on it) , but in my experience online degrees from schools with traditional brick and mortar campuses do not state if the degree was done online or not. I recently found out that one of my employees obtained their Masters from Georgia Tech online. I never assumed that this was the case.

As for the OP's original question. Honestly, besides Georgia Tech, Penn State, and SMU, I haven't dealt with many individuals who have done online masters. From my interviews, the quality of the applicants is no better or worse than people who did their degree in a traditional brick and mortar environment. So I'm not inherently bias. I would advise you to actually contact the departments that run these programs and find their post graduation data. It's important to see how well students place upon completion of the degree and how relevant their placements are to their field of study. If a school is unwilling or unable to give this information out, I would be mildly concerned.

Likes CalcNerd, TLeit and Bystander

Related to Are these online master's degrees any good?

1. Are online master's degrees considered legitimate and credible?

Yes, online master's degrees are considered legitimate and credible as long as they are obtained from accredited institutions. Accreditation ensures that the degree program meets certain standards of quality and rigor.

2. Can I get the same quality of education from an online master's degree as a traditional campus-based program?

Yes, online master's degrees can offer the same quality of education as traditional campus-based programs. Online programs often use the same curriculum and have the same faculty as their on-campus counterparts. However, it is important to research the specific program and institution to ensure their online offerings are of high quality.

3. Are employers hesitant to hire someone with an online master's degree?

Employers are becoming increasingly accepting of online degrees, as long as they are obtained from accredited institutions. Employers are more concerned with the skills and knowledge an individual possesses rather than the format in which they obtained their education.

4. Will I have the same opportunities for networking and building professional relationships with an online master's degree?

While online master's degrees may not offer the same in-person interactions as traditional campus-based programs, there are still opportunities for networking and building professional relationships. Many online programs have virtual networking events and discussion boards where students can connect with each other and faculty. Additionally, students can still participate in internships and attend conferences to expand their professional network.

5. Are online master's degrees more flexible than traditional campus-based programs?

Yes, online master's degrees tend to offer more flexibility as students have the ability to complete coursework from anywhere with an internet connection. This can be beneficial for individuals with full-time jobs or other commitments. However, it is important to note that online programs still have set deadlines and students must be disciplined and self-motivated to succeed.