Not quite homework but VERY

• Thread starter chuck7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about a problem-solving competition where the team made a device using an RC car to open and close a pneumatic valve. They received a penalty because their remote control was not physically connected to the device. The person is asking for help on whether the connection between the remote and the antenna counts as a physical connection. However, it seems unlikely that they have a strong argument for the penalty to be reversed.
chuck7
[SOLVED] Not quite homework but VERY URGENT!

Some of you may be familiar with creative problem solving programs like Odyssey of the Mind and Destination ImagiNation, which is the one I participate in. For the problem our team had to do, we made a device that uses a radio control from an RC car to open and close a pneumatic valve. In the rules of the problem it states that anything that powers or controls the device must be "included on the device" and also all parts of the device must be "physically connected". We got about a 60 point penalty out of 300 total points because our remote control was not "physically connected". Wouldn't the connection between the remote and the antenna be a physical connection, or does that not count? Please help, we have to take this to the judges tomorrow morning if we want to get our points back.

Thanks so much,
Charles

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I don't think you have much of a case. By your reasoning, the Earth and the Crab Nebula are physically connected by virtue of the electromagnetic waves reaching us from there.

Hi Charles,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It sounds like you and your team have put a lot of effort into your project and I'm sorry to hear that you received a penalty. In this case, it is best to consult with your team leader or coach to get a clear understanding of the rules and see if there is any room for interpretation. It's also a good idea to bring up your concerns to the judges and explain your reasoning behind considering the connection between the remote and antenna as a physical connection. Best of luck with your presentation and I hope you are able to get your points back. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the difference between "not quite homework" and "homework"?

"Not quite homework" refers to tasks or assignments that are similar to homework but may not be directly assigned by a teacher or professor. They may be practice problems, research projects, or independent study tasks. "Homework" typically refers to assignments that are given by a teacher or professor for students to complete outside of class.

2. How do I know if something is considered "not quite homework"?

There is no strict definition for "not quite homework," as it can vary depending on the context. Generally, if a task or assignment is related to a subject or class but is not directly assigned by a teacher, it can be considered "not quite homework."

3. Is it okay to ask for help with "not quite homework"?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to seek help with "not quite homework." It is important to remember to give credit to any outside sources that assisted with the task.

4. Can I use online resources for "not quite homework"?

Yes, online resources can be a valuable tool for completing "not quite homework." However, it is important to make sure that any information or resources used are reliable and properly cited.

5. How can I make sure I am not plagiarizing when working on "not quite homework"?

To avoid plagiarism, it is important to properly cite any sources used in "not quite homework" assignments. This includes both direct quotes and paraphrased information. Additionally, it is important to use your own words and ideas when completing the assignment.