Are there multiple valid solutions for the given initial value problem?

• Thread starter footballxpaul
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary: The book says y=[x+sqrt(28-3x^2)]/2, abs(x)<sqrt(28/3)? To get to their answer, you must integrate the equation.
footballxpaul
(2x-y)dx+(2y-x)dy=0 y(1)=3

solve the given initial value problem and determine at least approx where the solution is valid?

this should be simple right? I got 2y+2x=C and then 2y+2x=8. It doesn't match the answer in the back of the book at all, and I do see how they could have gotten the answer in the back. Is my answer right? The book says y=[x+sqrt(28-3x^2)]/2, abs(x)<sqrt(28/3)? or is the book right, and if so how do you get to their answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get your answer, and what's that y(1) on the end?

its y(1)=3, I just solve the ivp by using the exact method. It seemed simple but it doesn't match the books answer.

*my bad posted in wrong forum, if a mod wants to move this go ahead

This should be in the homework forum. How about showing us your work, this is an extremely easy problem since it is already exact.

Hint you can directly integrate.

footballxpaul said:
(2x-y)dx+(2y-x)dy=0 y(1)=3

solve the given initial value problem and determine at least approx where the solution is valid?

this should be simple right? I got 2y+2x=C and then 2y+2x=8. It doesn't match the answer in the back of the book at all, and I do see how they could have gotten the answer in the back. Is my answer right? The book says y=[x+sqrt(28-3x^2)]/2, abs(x)<sqrt(28/3)? or is the book right, and if so how do you get to their answer?
If 2y+ 2x= 8, then y= 4- x dy= -dx so (2x-y)dx+ (2y-x)dy= (2x- 4+ x)dx+ (8- 2x- x)(-dx)= (3x- 4)dx- (8- 3x)dx= -12, not 0. Your solution is clearly wrong.

Now, how did you get that?

As djeitnstine said, this is an "exact" differential equation that can be integrated relatively easily.

Indeed, not even the solution is incorrect. I worked it out this morning...however even without working it out its clear the solution seems extraneous.

Edit: both the OP's solution and the one you claim to have found in the book.

Related to Are there multiple valid solutions for the given initial value problem?

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function with its derivative. It is a type of differential equation that involves only the first derivative of the unknown function.

2. What is the general form of a first order differential equation?

The general form of a first order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the unknown function and f(x,y) is a given function of both x and y.

3. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

To solve a first order differential equation, you need to find the general solution by integrating both sides of the equation and then adding a constant term. The constant is determined by the initial conditions, which are given in the problem.

4. What are initial conditions in a first order differential equation?

Initial conditions are values of the unknown function and its derivative at a specific point, usually denoted as x = x0. These values are given in the problem and are used to determine the constant term in the general solution.

5. What are some real-life applications of first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze real-life phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics, biology, and chemistry to understand and predict natural processes.