Are there any unification models that explicitly unify colour and flavour?

In summary, the conversation discusses research on lepton masses and unification models. Specifically, the topic of unifying color and flavor is brought up, with a mention of a proposal by GellMann in 1983. The conversation also references a theory called "Lepton Number as the Fourth Color", which is described as brilliant but ultimately incorrect. The question of families is also mentioned, with a desire to find models where flavor and color mix.
arivero
Gold Member
This question is sparked by the research on lepton masses by Brannen, Kea, de Vries, Dave and others, but it is independent of it.

Point is, what unification models do a explicit unification of colour and flavour?

Particularly I have notes about considering [tex]SU(3) \subset SO(7)[/tex], where this SU(3) is not color but a diagonal of the direct sum of SU(3)_colour and SU(3) generations. My notes tell that this was a proposal of GellMann in 1983 or near, and I have some extra lines naming, guess, Ne'eman and others. But I have forgot to take note of the exact reference and I have been unable, for some weeks, of finding it again.

Physics news on Phys.org
The grandaddy of all such theories is "Lepton Number as the Fourth Color", J. Pati and A. Salam, PRD10:275(1974).

It's absolutely brilliant. Completely wrong, of course, but still brilliant. (I could say the same thing about Yang-Mills)

Vanadium 50 said:
The grandaddy of all such theories is "Lepton Number as the Fourth Color", J. Pati and A. Salam, PRD10:275(1974).

It's absolutely brilliant. Completely wrong, of course, but still brilliant. (I could say the same thing about Yang-Mills)

Indeed brilliant, but it does not address the question of families. I am a bit puzzled by the fact that trace(sqrt(M_leptons)) = 3 * sqrt( 313 MeV), so I want to look for models where flavour and colour mix in some way.

Related to Are there any unification models that explicitly unify colour and flavour?

1. How does color unification affect families?

Color unification refers to the process of blending different races or ethnicities within a family. It can bring diversity and cultural richness to the family, but it can also lead to challenges and conflicts.

2. What are the benefits of family color unification?

Family color unification can lead to a stronger sense of unity and understanding among family members. It can also promote acceptance and appreciation of different cultures and backgrounds.

3. What are some challenges families may face during the process of color unification?

Families may face challenges such as language barriers, cultural differences, and prejudice from society. It may also take time for family members to adjust and understand each other's beliefs and traditions.

4. Can color unification have a positive impact on society?

Yes, color unification can have a positive impact on society by promoting diversity and breaking down barriers between different races and cultures. It can also lead to a more inclusive and understanding society.

5. How can families support and promote color unification?

Families can support and promote color unification by encouraging open communication, celebrating and learning about each other's cultures, and standing up against discrimination and prejudice. They can also participate in community events and initiatives that promote diversity and inclusivity.