Are there any tips for interpreting word problems in physics?

• Thread starter Phreakzilla
  • Start date
In summary, the student is struggling with understanding how to read and interpret word problems in their freshman physics class. They are specifically having trouble with identifying angles and understanding phrases such as "relative to." They find drawing out the problems helpful, but also express frustration with the method of identifying angles using north, east, south, and west. They are hoping for translations of certain phrases that would help them better understand the problems.
Phreakzilla
Hi,
I am new and a learning disabled student. I am taking freshman physics. I am not sure how to read the word problems or how to interpret them. For example, when I read a problem "Three deer, A, B, and C, are grazing in a field. Deer B is located 62 m from deer A at an angle of 51° north of west. Deer C is located 77° north of east relative to deer A. The distance between deer B and C is 95 m. What is the distance between deer A and C? (Hint: Consider the law of cosines)" I did not realize it meant the angles 51 and 77 were outside the lines and were angles adjacent to deer A.
I am asking if there are any phrases or words I should watch out for that would mean things like "angles outside the triangle" or tells me they mean perpendicular or has any particular other meaning... I hope I explained this well enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing these out. It helps a lot. Or, in other words, drawing these problems out helps a lot. Everyone has problems taking this type of info and just plugging it into an equation. Drawing them out helps a lot.

(I hate that method of identifying angles, as well. The first thing I'd do is convert them to an Azimuth with North being 0, East being 90, South being 180, and West being 270.)

Well, I guess that's my problem. If I could understand what it was saying, I could draw a diagram. I suppose that 's why I was looking for translations to phrases like "relative to" means "near it" or something like that.

Related to Are there any tips for interpreting word problems in physics?

What are some tips for solving word problems?

1. Read the problem carefully and identify what information is given and what is being asked.2. Create a diagram or visualize the situation to help you understand the problem.3. Look for keywords such as "sum", "difference", "product", or "ratio" to determine what operation is needed.4. Use equations or formulas to represent the problem.5. Check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are the common mistakes people make when solving word problems?

1. Not understanding the problem correctly.2. Not labeling variables or using incorrect variables.3. Incorrectly setting up equations or using incorrect formulas.4. Misinterpreting keywords or phrases in the problem.5. Not checking the answer or not rounding to the appropriate decimal place.

How can I improve my problem-solving skills for word problems?

1. Practice regularly with a variety of word problems.2. Break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.3. Use different strategies such as making a table or creating a visual representation.4. Work backwards from the answer to help you understand the steps needed to solve the problem.5. Collaborate with others and discuss different approaches to solving the problem.

What are some real-life applications of word problems?

1. Calculating discounts and sales prices while shopping.2. Determining travel time and distance for trips.3. Calculating interest rates and loan payments.4. Solving problems related to budgeting and finances.5. Analyzing data and making predictions in various industries such as marketing, finance, and science.

How can I teach word problem-solving skills to others?

1. Encourage critical thinking and problem-solving by asking open-ended questions.2. Provide a variety of word problems and give students time to work on them independently.3. Model your own problem-solving process and talk through your steps.4. Use visual aids and manipulatives to help students understand the problem.5. Offer feedback and guidance as students work through problems, and discuss different approaches with the class.