Are there any prime gap results like this

• Thread starter uart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap Prime
In summary, prime gap results refer to the difference between consecutive prime numbers. While there are many results and conjectures related to prime gaps, one notable example is the Twin Prime Conjecture, which states that there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that are exactly two apart. This conjecture remains unsolved and is one of the most studied problems in number theory. Other significant results include the Green-Tao Theorem, which proves the existence of arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions of prime numbers, and the Polignac's Conjecture, which suggests that there are infinitely many pairs of primes with any given even difference.
uart
Science Advisor
Are there any "prime gap" results like this ...

I was just reading about "prime gaps" and noticed that most of the results are asymptotic, as in "true if n is sufficiently large".

I was just wondering if there are any bounding results for prime gaps that are true for all n, p_n.

For example, take a conjecture like: [tex]p_{n} < p_{n+1} < 2 p_{n}[/tex]

Is something like that provable for all n. (not necessarily with the constant of "2", I just chose that as an example of what I meant).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
With a "2", see Bertrand's postulate.

Some explicit ones (specifying "n large enough") can be found on http://primes.utm.edu/notes/gaps.html

You might also want to look at http://math.univ-lille1.fr/~ramare/Maths/gap.pdf

shmoe said:
With a "2", see Bertrand's postulate.

Thanks, that was just what I was looking for but I didn't have a name to search on. I thought that someone would have postulated it before me. :)

Related to Are there any prime gap results like this

1. What is a prime gap?

A prime gap is the difference between two consecutive prime numbers. For example, the gap between 3 and 5 is 2, and the gap between 11 and 13 is 2.

2. Are there any known results about prime gaps?

Yes, there are several known results about prime gaps. One of the most famous is the Bertrand's postulate, which states that for any positive integer n, there exists a prime number between n and 2n. There are also results related to the distribution of prime gaps, such as the Prime Number Theorem.

3. What do you mean by "results like this" in regards to prime gaps?

By "results like this," I am referring to specific patterns or properties observed in prime gaps. These could include the size of the gap, the frequency of certain gap sizes, or relationships between prime gaps and other mathematical concepts.

4. Can you give an example of a result like this?

One example of a result like this is the Twin Prime Conjecture, which states that there are infinitely many pairs of prime numbers that differ by 2. This conjecture has not been proven, but it is supported by evidence such as the existence of many pairs of consecutive primes with a gap of 2.

5. Why is understanding prime gaps important in mathematics?

Prime gaps are important in mathematics because they provide insights into the distribution of prime numbers, which is a fundamental aspect of number theory. Additionally, understanding prime gaps can help in the development of new algorithms for finding prime numbers, which has practical applications in cryptography and computer science.