Are there any "Polar" solar system structures?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of polar structures or asteroid clusters in the solar system, particularly in heliocentric ecliptic coordinates. There is a mention of igloos and the potential for structures in the Oort cloud, which is still mostly unknown. The conversation ends with a sense of excitement and frustration over the lack of knowledge about these potential structures.
Jimster41
Like asteroid clusters or any kind of what-not thought to be part of our solar system?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Soorry... What is a "polar" structure ?

In Heliocentric Ecliptic coordinates? North and South along the sun's axis of rotation.

You know, are there any igloos? :wink:

or asteroid clusters?

[Edit] it's possible I already asked this question. If so shame on me for forgetting, but hopefully anyone who answered has also forgot they already answered.

Last edited:
Do you mean an asteroid cluster that is clustered in the direction of the sun's axis of rotation? If so, it can't be in orbit.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you mean an asteroid cluster that is clustered in the direction of the sun's axis of rotation? If so, it can't be in orbit.

I hesitated to use the word orbit. I was just thinking of there. Sort of the way galactic globular clusters seems to be found along the galactic axes of rotation. I saw a diagram of the solar system the other day, in relation to the Ceres mission. It shows the asteroid belts in a way I'd never seem before. Just seems like a lot of structure for clouds of those things, made me wonder about spherical structure, not just an orbital plane.. Maybe the diagram was bogus. I'll see if I can find it.

But I'm getting that the answer is kind of "nope". i was half expecting an "of course..."

Last edited:
Could you give an example of a structure that would qualify ? I still don't get what you are after...

From.your last post it seems youbare asling "are there asteriod in polar orbits" i.e. orbits perpendicular to the ecliptic, or at least highly inclined - did I get that right ?

a clump of mass, or n of them that are statistically unlikely but in their clumping, but also in their location w/respect to the orbital axis of the solar plane. Ice-balls, dwark planets, clouds of little rocks.

Would the Oort cloud qualify ?

Wow. Yeah, that sure seems like what I was looking for... thanks. it's a drawing but I gather the real thing is not just totally random, + the ecliptic plane, that it looks more like the drawing, with some kind of harmonic-ish spherical structure.
Oort_Cloud.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

Last edited:
Frustratingly it seems we know little about it, all from indirect evidence rather than direct observations.

Likes Jimster41
That is exciting on the one hand and also incredibly frustrating... Is right.

Related to Are there any "Polar" solar system structures?

1. What is a "Polar" solar system structure?

A "Polar" solar system structure is a type of celestial body that has a unique formation and orientation compared to other structures in the solar system. These structures are characterized by their location near the poles of a planet or moon and their distinct shape and composition. Examples include polar caps, polar vortexes, and polar mountains.

2. How are "Polar" solar system structures formed?

The formation of "Polar" solar system structures is influenced by various factors such as the planet's or moon's rotation, magnetic field, and geological activity. For example, polar caps are formed through the accumulation of ice and dust over time, while polar mountains are created through tectonic processes.

3. Are "Polar" solar system structures unique to Earth?

No, "Polar" solar system structures can be found on other planets and moons in our solar system. For instance, Mars has polar ice caps and Saturn's moon, Enceladus, has a polar plume of water vapor. However, the specific characteristics and formations of these structures may vary depending on the unique conditions of each celestial body.

4. What can studying "Polar" solar system structures tell us about the solar system?

Studying "Polar" solar system structures can provide valuable insights into the history and evolution of our solar system. By analyzing the composition and formation of these structures, scientists can learn more about the geological processes and environmental conditions that shaped different planets and moons. This information can also help us better understand the potential for life on other celestial bodies.

5. How do scientists study "Polar" solar system structures?

Scientists use various methods to study "Polar" solar system structures, including remote sensing techniques such as telescopes and satellites, as well as in-situ observations from spacecraft and rovers. Additionally, scientists may also use computer models and simulations to better understand the formation and behavior of these structures.