Are there any new states of matter yet?

In summary, there are various states of matter, including bose-einstein condensate, super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen, and degenerate neutronium. There is also the possibility of complex (dusty) plasmas, which contain charged microparticles and can range from weakly coupled to crystalline. These states of matter are of interest for studying fundamental physics and self-organization. There may be other states of matter or systems to study, such as neutrinos or disperse systems like colloids, but further research is needed.
questionpost
The only ones I can think of are bose-einstein condensate in the same realm as super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen (I guess critical point?), and degenerate neutronium and whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter. Is there anything else yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
questionpost said:
whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter.

Whatever singularities are made of and dark matter aren't states of matter, they likely don't include electrons or quarks.

jetwaterluffy said:
Whatever singularities are made of and dark matter aren't states of matter, they likely don't include electrons or quarks.

I know, but is there anything? Any new type of matter of any kind?

questionpost said:
I know, but is there anything? Any new type of matter of any kind?

In that case, you could include neutrinos.

Chemists distinguish quite a few more states;
The dissolved state, the adsorbed state, the interfacial state, etc

They further acknowledge disperse systems such as the 'colloidal state'.

go well

questionpost said:
The only ones I can think of are bose-einstein condensate in the same realm as super-liquids/solids, solid, solid-liquid, liquid, liquid-gas, gas, plasma, quark/gluon plasma, metallic or degenerate hydrogen (I guess critical point?), and degenerate neutronium and whatever singularities are made of and the theoretical dark matter. Is there anything else yet?

I found the following on page 62 of the Naval Research Laboratory Plasma Formulary NRL/PU/6790--11-551, Revised 2011:

Complex (dusty) plasmas (CDPs) may be regarded as a new and unusual state of matter. CDPs contain charged microparticles (dust grains) in addition to electrons, ions, and neutral gas. Electrostatic coupling between the grains can vary over a wide range, so that the states of CDPs can range from weakly coupled (gaseous) to crystalline. CDPs can be investigated at the kinetic level (individual particles are easily visualized and relevant time scales are accessible). CDPs are of interest as a non-Hamiltonian system of interacting particles as a means to study generic fundamental physics of self-organization, pattern formation, phase transitions, and scaling. Their discovery has therefore opened new ways of precision investigation in many-particle physics.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

1. What are the known states of matter?

The known states of matter are solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.

2. Can new states of matter be created in a laboratory?

Yes, new states of matter can be created in a laboratory under specific conditions such as extreme temperatures and pressures.

3. How many states of matter are currently recognized?

There are currently 18 recognized states of matter, including Bose-Einstein condensates, superfluids, and quark-gluon plasma.

4. What is the process for identifying a new state of matter?

Scientists look for unique properties and behaviors that differentiate a substance from the known states of matter. This can include changes in density, conductivity, and magnetic properties.

5. Are there any potential applications for new states of matter?

Yes, new states of matter can have potential applications in various fields such as energy production, electronics, and material science. For example, Bose-Einstein condensates have been used to create ultra-precise atomic clocks.