Are there any CA structural engineers on this forum?

In summary: Service design usually uses factors like occupancy, building type, etc., whereas strength design uses things like earthquake codes, building design features, etc.
16d @ 4"
Need help with interpreting the UBC! :biggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
What part?

Bystander said:
What part?

The part of the special seismic load combo with 1.2DL+0.5LL+Em.
When I use this equation, do I apply a 1.33 increase if I choose to stay in
ASD, or do I have to multiply Em by 1.4 (to bring to strength level) and then apply a 1.7 increase.

My boss told me that Em is in strength level already and that a 1.7 increase is applicable.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, :biggrin:

Figured it was going to be seismic. At which point I can't help you. You might try the local building dept. --- if they're competent. Local building codes probably include very specific local amendments, and rules for application --- wouldn't surprise me, nor would it surprise me if CA has a blanket amendment incorporating "design factors to be determined from whatever counts as the latest study of damages from previous quakes."

Thanks for the attempt. :biggrin:

Bystander said:
Figured it was going to be seismic. At which point I can't help you. You might try the local building dept. --- if they're competent. Local building codes probably include very specific local amendments, and rules for application --- wouldn't surprise me, nor would it surprise me if CA has a blanket amendment incorporating "design factors to be determined from whatever counts as the latest study of damages from previous quakes."

I am sure you have it figured out by now, but that whole equation (including Em) is strength level equation. So for ASD, you would divide the Em part by 1.4 and then get to use a 1/3 stress increase if you choose (latest Codes have taken out the 1/3 increase). It is easiest to just start with the service level equations if you are using ASD: D+L+Em/1.4... etc.

Be sure not to mix and match factors between service and strength design.

Related to Are there any CA structural engineers on this forum?

1. What is a CA structural engineer?

A CA structural engineer is a professional who specializes in designing, constructing, and maintaining structures such as buildings, bridges, and other large-scale projects in the state of California, USA.

2. What qualifications are required to become a CA structural engineer?

To become a CA structural engineer, one must have a bachelor's degree in civil engineering or a related field, and also pass the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exams.

3. How can I verify if someone is a certified CA structural engineer?

You can verify if someone is a certified CA structural engineer by checking the California Board for Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors, and Geologists website, where you can search for licensed engineers by name, location, or license number.

4. Are there any specific regulations or codes that CA structural engineers must follow?

Yes, CA structural engineers must adhere to the California Building Code, which sets the standards for the design and construction of buildings, as well as other local and national codes and regulations.

5. Can CA structural engineers work on projects outside of California?

Yes, CA structural engineers can work on projects outside of California, but they must adhere to the regulations and codes of the state or country where the project is located. They may also need to obtain additional licensure or certifications, depending on the project requirements.