Are the W bosons charged before symmetry breaking?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the SU(2) symmetry being broken by the Higgs mechanism and how the W bosons acquire mass as a result. It is clarified that the W bosons had charge before the symmetry breaking and were not physical states. At very high energy, the W bosons still have mass and charge, but their mass can be considered negligible for simplifying calculations.
franoisbelfor
When the SU(2) symmetry is broken
by the Higgs mechanism,
the W bosons acquire mass
and become the well-known W^+ and W^-
bosons discovered at CERN.

So before the breaking, the Ws had no mass.
Did they have charge?

If yes: No particle is known
without mass but with charge. Are the W
before symmetry breaking the first?

If no: How does charge arise through
symmetry breaking?

Thanks for any help!

Francois

Physics news on Phys.org
"Before" is maybe not the best word. There was, as far as we know, no time in the universe when the SU(2) X U(1) symmetry was unbroken. The time you are referring two is the time it takes to do the derivation - so your question really is closer to "between steps 5 and 6 in the derivation, do the w's have charge?" Note that these are not physical states.

One can do a similar thing with fermions and treat the left-handed and right-handed chiral projections as separate particles. These are also charged and massless - and also not physical states.

Vanadium 50 said:
"Before" is maybe not the best word. There was, as far as we know, no time in the universe when the SU(2) X U(1) symmetry was unbroken. The time you are referring two is the time it takes to do the derivation - so your question really is closer to "between steps 5 and 6 in the derivation, do the w's have charge?" Note that these are not physical states.

One can do a similar thing with fermions and treat the left-handed and right-handed chiral projections as separate particles. These are also charged and massless - and also not physical states.

Thank you! I see my mistake. So at energies far above the symmetry breaking scale, the W is still massive and charged, am I correct? The books sometime give the impression that at high energy, the symmetry is unbroken... I really got something mixed up there.

François

franoisbelfor said:
Thank you! I see my mistake. So at energies far above the symmetry breaking scale, the W is still massive and charged, am I correct? The books sometime give the impression that at high energy, the symmetry is unbroken..

Horrible books. It is as trying to learn of God by reading the Bible.

Anyway, yes, the point is that at very high energy the W is still massive but its mass is small for the calculations being done, so it can be taken as zero in order to simplify the calculation. But note that you can not put its charge to zero.

Related to Are the W bosons charged before symmetry breaking?

1. What are W bosons?

W bosons are elementary particles that have a mass of about 80 GeV/c2 and carry a unit of electric charge. They are one of the fundamental particles in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. What is symmetry breaking?

Symmetry breaking is a concept in physics where a system that is symmetric at a higher energy state becomes asymmetric at a lower energy state. In particle physics, this refers to the breaking of the electroweak symmetry, which results in the W and Z bosons acquiring mass while the photon remains massless.

3. Why is it important to study the W bosons before symmetry breaking?

Studying the properties of W bosons before symmetry breaking is important because it helps us understand the nature of the electroweak force and its role in the early universe. It also provides insight into the mechanism of symmetry breaking, which is crucial in our understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

4. How do scientists study the W bosons before symmetry breaking?

Scientists study the W bosons before symmetry breaking by producing them in high-energy particle collisions, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). By analyzing the characteristics of the W bosons, such as their mass and decay patterns, scientists can gain insights into their behavior and properties.

5. What are the implications of W bosons being charged before symmetry breaking?

The fact that W bosons are charged before symmetry breaking has important implications for the Standard Model of particle physics. It supports the theory of electroweak symmetry breaking and helps explain the origin of mass for the W and Z bosons. It also provides evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson, which plays a crucial role in the symmetry breaking mechanism.