Decided to install linux red hat

In summary, Suse is a good option for beginners, but it may not have the latest version. Fedora is a good option for those who want an easy to use, customizable Linux OS.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
after a great deal of thought i decided to install linux red hat
on my new computer, as i have no ability to burn CDs i opted
to buy, but i can not find an outlet, every one i find has some
problem, i can find all other linux stuff but not the personal OS,
has it been withdrawn or discontinued?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'll try the bookstore also, and look for one of those Red Hat Linux bible books which includes a copy of the OS.

I've read that Suse is great for beginners as well.

The bad thing about buying the retail box is that you sometimes don't get the lastest version. The good thing is that you probable get a manual with it. Instead of trying to find a cd for linux the next best thing (if you have broadband) is a floppy net install. This tutorial should help you install fedora (Red hat) using only a floppy and the internet:

http://vishalshah.org/node/view/81 [Broken]

The section you want to read on the page is called : HOW TO INSTALL FEDORA CORE 1 LINUX

This tutorial should apply to the new Fodora Core 2. Just make sure to change One's to Two's

Last edited by a moderator:
i have just had a stroke of good luck, an acquaintance has
the suse 9 CDs and has gifted them to me, after reading
several reviews this seems an ok OS. i am hopping with
my new athlon xp 2500, 1meg pc2100 ddr dimm, 120 gig
hd comp, i will be set for a long time.
thanks for all help and advice. :biggrin:

1meg pc2100 ddr? I didn't even know they made sticks that big!

1meg pc2100 ddr? I didn't even know they made sticks that big!

no i didnt come in just one stick, it came in two with five hundred and
twelve mega bits on each.
if anyone wants a tutorial on how to build a computer just ask me
:surprise: :confused:

1. What is Linux Red Hat?

Linux Red Hat is an operating system based on the Linux kernel. It is a popular distribution of Linux that is widely used in enterprise and server environments due to its stability, security, and support.

2. Why would someone choose to install Linux Red Hat?

There are several reasons why someone might choose to install Linux Red Hat. Some common reasons include its strong security features, its compatibility with a wide range of hardware, its robust support and community, and its cost-effectiveness compared to other operating systems.

3. Is Linux Red Hat difficult to install?

The installation process for Linux Red Hat is generally straightforward and user-friendly. However, some technical knowledge may be required for certain configurations or advanced features. There are also many online resources and community forums available to help with any installation issues.

4. Can I still use Windows programs with Linux Red Hat?

Linux Red Hat is a different operating system than Windows, so Windows programs will not run natively on it. However, there are options such as virtualization or compatibility layers that allow some Windows programs to work on Linux Red Hat. Additionally, there are many open-source alternatives to popular Windows programs that are compatible with Linux Red Hat.

5. Is Linux Red Hat free?

Linux Red Hat is not entirely free. While the source code is freely available, there is a fee for obtaining the official Red Hat distribution and support. However, there are also free versions of Linux based on Red Hat, such as CentOS, that can be used without a fee.