Are the Perseids meteor shower the best in recent years?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, the Perseids meteor shower is expected to be the best in recent years due to favorable viewing conditions and an increased frequency of meteors. This annual event, which occurs when Earth passes through the debris trail of the Swift-Tuttle comet, is known for producing bright and fast meteors that are visible to the naked eye. This year's shower is predicted to peak on the night of August 11th and into the early morning of August 12th, with the potential for up to 100 meteors per hour. So if you're a stargazer or astronomy enthusiast, be sure to mark your calendars for this spectacular celestial show.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well right now is supposed to be the peak of the shower. Walking home from my girlfriends about an hour ago i see one. Get home I see one. 30 seconds later I see another one. Thoroughly impressed by the last one it was visible for a VERY long time like 30 seconds I could still see it's trail and even make out the colours in it with my bare eyes... and the first and last one were quite long compared to others I've seen. That last one though I wish I had a camera with me :( I would go back out to see some more but I'm in my bed now too lazy :P

Sorry! said:
Well right now is supposed to be the peak of the shower. Walking home from my girlfriends about an hour ago i see one. Get home I see one. 30 seconds later I see another one. Thoroughly impressed by the last one it was visible for a VERY long time like 30 seconds I could still see it's trail and even make out the colours in it with my bare eyes... and the first and last one were quite long compared to others I've seen. That last one though I wish I had a camera with me :( I would go back out to see some more but I'm in my bed now too lazy :P

I saw about 16 after spending 30 minutes outdoors, but I didn't see any long trails like you did. It's also almost dawn now, so oh well.

I was outside for about 30 minutes, and I saw just one, but my view was obstructed by buildings and trees, polluted by streetlights, and, for much of the time, I was using my binos to look at other things.

Best I've ever seen: the 2001 Leonids storm. See, for example,

http://spaceweather.com/meteors/gallery_18nov01.html.

I only saw 4, two very bright ones. The two bright ones came almost simultaneously. It was a bit clouded where I am and the moon was shining quite bright in the sky. It looks like daytime if you're outside even if the Moon is just half full. You can see everything around you.

The best I ever saw was some meteor storm somewhere in the late 1990s in the fall. It was predicted to happen on some date and I decided to go looking one day in advance, because of the weather and because the predictions were not always accurate.

I saw many extremely bright meteors, the trails of the meteors were visible for one or two minutes with the naked eye and much longer with binos.

Last edited:
I only managed to catch two in about 40 minutes of casual observing, neither of which were very impressive. My skies were only mag 4.1 though, so I guess this kind of thing is to be expected.

Related to Are the Perseids meteor shower the best in recent years?

What is the Perseids meteor shower?

The Perseids meteor shower is an annual event that occurs in August when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle. This results in a display of shooting stars in the night sky.

When is the best time to see the Perseids meteor shower?

The Perseids meteor shower usually peaks around August 11-13, but it can be visible in the night sky from late July to late August. The best time to see it is during the pre-dawn hours when the sky is darkest.

Do I need any special equipment to watch the Perseids meteor shower?

No, you do not need any special equipment to watch the Perseids meteor shower. It is best viewed with the naked eye and binoculars or a telescope are not necessary. However, it is recommended to find a dark location away from city lights for the best viewing experience.

Where is the best place to view the Perseids meteor shower?

The best place to view the Perseids meteor shower is in a location with minimal light pollution, such as a rural area or a designated dark sky park. You should also make sure to have a clear view of the northeast horizon, as that is where the meteors will appear to originate from.

How many meteors can I expect to see during the Perseids meteor shower?

The number of meteors you can see during the Perseids meteor shower varies each year, but on average, you can expect to see around 60-100 meteors per hour during the peak. However, this number can be affected by weather conditions and light pollution.