Are spinors just wavefunctions in the dirac field?

In summary, spinors are two-dimensional objects that have a transformation property with respect to rotations. They are members in the sequence of unitary irreducible representations of the rotation group, and electron's wavefunction is a spinor.
captain
are spinors just wavefunctions in the dirac field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm been mostly in a belief, that spinors are just vectors, and the name "spinor" is used to emphasize their transformation properties. Altough the Wikipedia seems to have lot more to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinor

I don't think that "function in a field" means anything, unless you can explain what you meant with it in more detail.

jostpuur said:
I'm been mostly in a belief, that spinors are just vectors, and the name "spinor" is used to emphasize their transformation properties. Altough the Wikipedia seems to have lot more to say http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinor

I don't think that "function in a field" means anything, unless you can explain what you meant with it in more detail.

i was just guessing what it was based on what i had seen in textbooks.

captain said:

Spinors are 2-dimensional objects whose transformations with respect to rotations are described by the 2D irreducible representation of the rotation group generated by Pauli matrices. They are members in the following sequence of unitary irreducible representations of the rotation group: scalars (1D), spinors (2D), vectors (3D), ...

Electron's wavefunction is a spinor (i.e., a two-component) function in the momentum (or position) space. Dirac's quantum field is a 4-dimensional operator function on the Minkowski spacetime. Its rotational transformations are generated by commutators of Dirac's gamma-matrices. So, it is not exactly a spinor. Sometimes these 4D objects are called bi-spinors.

Eugene.

Last edited:
When you have a three vector [itex]x\in\mathbb{R}^3[/itex], the fact that it is defined with three numbers, is not yet everything about it. An equally important property is how it transforms in rotations. Its transformation properties also justify imagining it as an arrow in the space. An arrow in the space is something that you can rotate like you can rotate stuff in the physical world.

A spinor [itex]\psi\in\mathbb{C}^2[/itex] that you use to describe an internal state of an electron is basically two complex numbers, but the most important thing is how these numbers transform in rotations. The formula for rotations is defined with Pauli matrices, and the rotation operator is [itex]\exp(-i\theta\cdot\sigma/2)[/itex] (I don't remember if this was for passive of active rotations).

So if you just think it's a vector with certain transformation properties, you should get quite far.

Where you actually have these spinors is a different matter then. That probably can lead us to some depthful debate about content of QM again. Talking about the Dirac's field, isn't the Dirac's field itself a spinor-valued field? I'm not sure. I'm not sure what the Dirac's field is anymore... In non-relativistic theory of electrons you can at least simply replace the complex number of the wavefunction with a spinor, that means you replace [itex]\Psi:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{C}[/itex] with a [itex]\Psi:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{C}^2[/itex] and postulate transformation properties.

If you know anything about groups, they can be understood as thus:

Consider the group of rotations in 3D, aka SO(3). We can look for representations of this group, which means finding some vector space in which we can map elements of SO(3) as operators (matrices) in that space. So obviously, there's the representation in R^3 where the elements are just what we usually think of as rotations. We call this the vector representation. Another representation is in 1D -- i.e. R. There, we map all the elements to 1 -- it's completely trivial and degenerate. This is the scalar representation. So we might wonder if there's a 2D one; as it happens, yes there is, but only in C^2. The mapping is a little more involved. These are the spinors.

captain said:

No. The spinors are the mathematical objects similar to the scalars, vectors, tensors, spintensors, etc. of any dimensions. They are useful in the numerous physical applications. In particular, the solutions of the Dirac equation are four component spinors.The best presentation I know is the first hand E. Cartan “The Theory of Spinors”.

Regards, Dany.

Last edited:

Related to Are spinors just wavefunctions in the dirac field?

1. What are spinors?

Spinors are mathematical objects that represent the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of a particle in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the Dirac field?

The Dirac field is a quantum field that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, in relativistic quantum mechanics.

3. Are spinors and wavefunctions the same thing?

No, spinors and wavefunctions are different mathematical objects. While both can be used to describe the quantum state of a particle, they have different properties and behave differently under certain transformations.

4. Why are spinors important?

Spinors are important because they play a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental particles and forces in the universe. They also have important applications in fields such as particle physics, quantum computing, and condensed matter physics.

5. How are spinors related to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles. Spinors are the mathematical objects that satisfy this equation, and therefore are intimately related to the Dirac field and its applications.