Are Some Students Just Not Cut Out for Calculus?

• Thread starter Mandanesss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, the speaker is struggling with understanding calculus concepts and feels overwhelmed by their pre-med courses. They have noticed that it takes them longer to understand concepts and they make mistakes before fully grasping them. They are considering studying with classmates and questioning if they are a slow learner. The expert suggests not putting calculus on the back burner and restudying it over the summer to be better prepared for future courses. They also mention that other students may also struggle with understanding calculus and question if the speaker truly wants to study math.
Mandanesss
I'm in Calc II right and have switched my major from biology to math. I go to a small liberal arts college, my calc class consists of 8 people. Needless to say, the professor continually calls on each one of us in class to make sure we understand what's going on. I've been doing A+ work throughout the semester, that is, until we hit the last chapter about infinite sequences and series. But even before this chapter, I've noticed that it takes me a while to understand any concept. I always read the chapters before class, but even so, I feel that I just don't get things right away unlike the other students in the class. It takes me many hours after class to truly grasp these concepts. Even when doing homework, I first make numerous mistakes and then learn from them. Since I've been so overwhelmed with pre-med courses lately, calc has been on the backburner and I haven't had a chance to study and prepare for the course. These days, I seem to be the only one incapable of answering any questions that arise in class. I feel just plain dumb for not grasping these concepts on the spot. Has anyone ever been in this situation? Would I be classified as a slow learner?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mandanesss,

You must not put Calculus "on the back burner." You may have too many other courses during this current semester. If you could adequately pass your Calculus 2 course, as well as your other courses by end of semester, then you should restudy all of Calculus 2 throroughly during the summer; this will help you to be in tune, prepared to begin your Calculus 3 in the Fall.

You are not really the only student who learns Calculus slowly. Other students are probably also struggling to understand the concepts and the skills which go with them.

Calculus is difficult, no doubt about it. All the theoretical concepts and seemingly "clear and logical" proof.. It's o.k. if you don't grasp it all at once, and perhaps you should study with your classmates together because then you all can understand things and explain them to each other. Anyway, are you sure that you want to study math ? Calculus is just the start, although almost everone finds it difficult, but maybe you should consider this again. Not meaning to descourage you, but sometimes we might just like the idea of some subject before we know what it's all about.

Last edited:

Related to Are Some Students Just Not Cut Out for Calculus?

What is meant by "trouble grasping concepts"?

"Trouble grasping concepts" refers to difficulty understanding or comprehending a certain idea or concept. This can occur in any subject or field of study and can manifest in various ways, such as struggling to remember information, not being able to apply learned concepts, or having difficulty connecting new concepts to previous knowledge.

What causes trouble grasping concepts?

There are many potential factors that can contribute to trouble grasping concepts, including learning disabilities, lack of prior knowledge or background, inadequate teaching methods, or cognitive barriers. Additionally, individual differences in learning styles and mental processing can also play a role.

How can trouble grasping concepts be addressed?

The approach to addressing trouble grasping concepts will depend on the specific cause. For example, if it is due to a learning disability, accommodations and specialized support may be necessary. In general, approaches such as breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, using visual aids or real-life examples, and providing ample opportunities for practice and review can be effective in helping individuals grasp difficult concepts.

Can trouble grasping concepts be overcome?

Yes, with the right support and strategies, trouble grasping concepts can be overcome. It may require persistence and patience, as well as a willingness to try different approaches until one is found that works for the individual. Seeking help from a teacher, tutor, or other professional can also be beneficial.

Is trouble grasping concepts a sign of intelligence?

No, trouble grasping concepts is not necessarily a reflection of intelligence. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses in different areas, and difficulty understanding certain concepts does not diminish one's overall intelligence or potential for success. It is important to recognize and celebrate individual differences in learning and to find ways to support and nurture growth and understanding.