Are selected for mutations simply random occurences?

• Thread starter Sundu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "selected for" mutations in evolution, specifically in the context of a zebra-like creature evolving a tanish color for camouflage. The question is whether this mutation was a completely random occurrence or if there is something in the DNA that drives the development of new survival strategies. The consensus is that while mutations are random, the selection process is directed by the environment. However, there are exceptions such as human intervention in genetic modification. The conversation also touches on the role of genes in controlling mutation rates and mechanisms for DNA repair. The book "Extended Phenotype" by Richard Dawkins is recommended for further understanding on the topic.
Sundu
Are "selected for" mutations simply random occurences?

I just read Carl Sagan's and Ann Druyan's Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors and there is something that I am not fully clear about. I will give an example:

Let us suppose that there is a zebra-like creature. Over time, the zebra-like creature evolves into a mammal that is much harder for predators to detect; it loses its contrasting black and white stripes and takes on a tanish color, letting it camoflauge easier in the African savanah.

How did this tanish color evolve? Was it simply a completely random mutation that one or two animals were born with, passing the mutation on to future generations and having the mutation being "selected for" throughout the species because many other of these creatures simply die due to being easy prey, thus being unable to pass THEIR genes on? Or does something in the DNA say "Look, we need to develop a new survival strategy"? I tend to think that it is the former, as the latter does not make much sense to me, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
The mutation is random, but the selection is not, the selection is "natural", i.e., preferred by the environment such that it will be of aid to the organism long enough that it has an advantage until it breeds.

There is one exception to that: human intervention. Many survival traits such as frost resistance in tomatoes are deliberately engineered these days.

Danger said:
There is one exception to that: human intervention. Many survival traits such as frost resistance in tomatoes are deliberately engineered these days.

Too bad they didn't have GModification for humans during WWII. My uncle lost all his toes to frost bite after crashing his bomber in Greenland and waiting for rescue.:rolleyes: (Actually I think he'd rather have no toes than the genes of an Artic krill to pass on to his descendents. :wink:

Sundu said:
Was it simply a completely random mutation that one or two animals were born with, passing the mutation on to future generations and having the mutation being "selected for" throughout the species because many other of these creatures simply die due to being easy prey, thus being unable to pass THEIR genes on? Or does something in the DNA say "Look, we need to develop a new survival strategy"?
Thanks.

In most cases it is the random mutation - directed selection process.

But... Imagine that the selection is not between genes that decide the colour of the stripes but mutations and selection of genes controlling the rate of - controlling and repair of mutations. Or the meiosis process. In other words - genes that control the mechanisms of replication.
In such cases it may be that the selection process may affect the mutation. The very fact that cells do contain mechanisms for repairing the `easy errors' of DNA replication is a proof that not everything is random.

I recommend old, but very illuminating Extended Phenotype by Richard Dawkins.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Are selected for mutations simply random occurences?

1. What are mutations?

Mutations are changes in the genetic material of an organism, which can occur spontaneously or be induced by external factors such as radiation or chemicals.

2. How do mutations occur?

Mutations can occur randomly during cell division, DNA replication, or DNA repair processes. They can also be caused by external factors such as UV radiation or exposure to certain chemicals.

3. Are mutations always harmful?

No, mutations can have both harmful and beneficial effects. Some mutations can lead to genetic disorders or diseases, while others can provide an advantage to an organism in its environment.

4. Are mutations randomly distributed throughout the genome?

Yes, mutations are generally considered to be random occurrences and can happen at any location in an organism's genetic material. However, certain factors such as exposure to mutagens can increase the likelihood of mutations in specific areas of the genome.

5. Can mutations be passed on to offspring?

Yes, mutations can be inherited and passed on to future generations. However, the likelihood of a mutation being passed on depends on various factors, such as the type of mutation and its location in the genome.