Are Sedimentary Layers the Cause of Banding on Asteroid Vesta?

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroid
In summary, the recent report in Yahoo! News discusses the discovery of bands on the asteroid Vesta and the possible explanations for them. One theory suggests that the bands could be sedimentary layers, while another proposes that they are folds caused by a collision. The report also includes images and an animation of Vesta rotating. A differing explanation for the bands is mentioned in another source, which suggests that they could be caused by waves of energy from an impact event. Further research and analysis is needed to determine the true origin of the bands on Vesta.
DoggerDan
I found the recent report in Yahoo! News very interesting.

For one, it appears to have bands. The first thing that jumped into my mind was "sedimentary layers." Could there be another explanation for such banding?

If the Southern half is dominated by a giant crater, it makes sense it'd be smoother, much like the "seas" on the Moon.

Here is a copy of the report: http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-stunned-surface-asteroid-vesta-204550456.html

Astronomy news on Phys.org
DoggerDan said:
I found the recent report in Yahoo! News very interesting.

For one, it appears to have bands. The first thing that jumped into my mind was "sedimentary layers." Could there be another explanation for such banding?
l[/url]

Phil Plait of Bad Astronomy http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...paign=Feed:+BadAstronomyBlog+(Bad+Astronomy)" the grooves are "those parallel grooves are from waves of energy moving through the asteroid during the impact event". It sound to me like they are folds from a collision, although the images make why I presume to be anticlines conspicuously sharper than the synclines. Or maybe that's reflection later changes. I know there is no atmospheric erosion, but I think micrometeor impacts cause rounding of features on the Moon.

The link includes an animation of Vesta rotating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phobos, a moon of Mars, has grooves, too.

A differing explanation for grooves is offered.
http://planetary.org/blog/article/00001391/
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2006/pdf/2195.pdf

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Related to Are Sedimentary Layers the Cause of Banding on Asteroid Vesta?

What is the significance of the banding on Asteroid Vesta?

The banding on Asteroid Vesta is significant because it provides clues about the asteroid's formation and evolution. The layers can reveal information about the materials that make up the asteroid, the conditions under which it formed, and any changes that have occurred over time.

How do sedimentary layers form on an asteroid?

Sedimentary layers on an asteroid can form through a process called differentiation. This is when the different materials within an asteroid separate based on their density, with heavier materials sinking to the core and lighter materials rising to the surface. As the asteroid cools and solidifies, these layers can become visible.

What evidence supports the idea that sedimentary layers exist on Vesta?

Scientists have gathered evidence of sedimentary layers on Vesta through various methods, such as analyzing the asteroid's surface composition and studying its gravitational field. They have also observed similar banding patterns on other asteroids, further supporting the idea that Vesta has sedimentary layers.

Could the banding on Vesta be caused by something other than sedimentary layers?

While sedimentary layers are the most likely cause of the banding on Vesta, there are other potential explanations. For example, impact events could create similar patterns on the asteroid's surface. However, the overall distribution and composition of the layers on Vesta strongly suggest that they are sedimentary in nature.

What further research is needed to better understand the banding on Vesta?

To gain a more complete understanding of the banding on Vesta, scientists may need to collect more data and samples from the asteroid. This could involve sending spacecraft missions to Vesta or analyzing telescopic observations in more detail. Additionally, continued research and analysis of the existing data can also help to refine our understanding of the asteroid's banding patterns.