Are ping-pong balls hydrophobic?

• Thread starter 333cory333
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the conversation is about an experiment being conducted in a lab to determine if ping-pong balls are hydrophobic when coated with sesame oil or grease. The person is seeking advice on how to measure the hydrophobicity of the balls and is reminded to conduct their own experiments before seeking assistance. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the help and acknowledging their progress.
333cory333
Hello, everyone!
I'm conducting an experiment in a lab
and while setting parameters, this question came to my mind.
Are ping-pong balls hydrophobic? (They are made out of cellulose)
And if sesame oil or grease is coated on the surface, do they become hydrophobic?
Thanks, as always :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi 333cory333! Welcome to Physics Forums!

What experiments have you already tried? Have you tried comparing the balls with and without oil or grease yet? How can you measure if a ping-pong ball is hydrophobic or not? No one here will spoon-feed you information if you haven't even tried experimenting yourself first. Click on "Rules" above. After you do your experiments and testing, post your results here, along with any of your questions or doubts. Members here are always ready and willing to assist a true searcher trying to learn science.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Deleted

Deleted.

CWatters said:
Deleted

Wait! What! Was that image wrong?

It is burned into my brain!

bad at chemistry dyslexics :cry:

Deleted because I thought I was making it too easy for you :-)

I still haven't found out a certain answer, but I'm surely progressing!
Thanks for your consideration :)

Related to Are ping-pong balls hydrophobic?

1. Are all ping-pong balls hydrophobic?

No, not all ping-pong balls are hydrophobic. Some ping-pong balls are made from celluloid, which is hydrophilic and absorbs water.

2. How can you tell if a ping-pong ball is hydrophobic?

A hydrophobic ping-pong ball will repel water droplets when placed on its surface. The water will bead up and roll off the ball rather than being absorbed into the material.

3. What makes a ping-pong ball hydrophobic?

Ping-pong balls are typically made from one of two materials: celluloid or poly plastic. Poly plastic is hydrophobic, meaning it is not easily wetted by water. This gives ping-pong balls made from poly plastic their hydrophobic properties.

4. Is being hydrophobic important for a ping-pong ball?

Yes, being hydrophobic is an important characteristic for a ping-pong ball. This allows the ball to repel water and maintain its round shape, which is crucial for its performance and bounce during gameplay.

5. Can ping-pong balls lose their hydrophobic properties?

Yes, over time and with repeated use, ping-pong balls can lose their hydrophobic properties. This can be due to wear and tear on the surface of the ball or exposure to certain chemicals. To maintain the hydrophobic properties of a ping-pong ball, it is important to store them in a dry, cool place and avoid exposing them to harsh chemicals.