Are particles accelerated along magnetic field lines?

In summary, the book states that particles are accelerated along magnetic field lines towards the Earth, but the concept of acceleration in a magnetic field is not as straightforward as it may seem. While the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is always perpendicular to its motion, the path of the particle can still be curved, resulting in a change in direction and thus acceleration. However, if the magnetic field is uniform, the particle will not gain velocity along this direction, but if the field is non-uniform, the particle can gain speed in the same direction as the field lines. This is a complicated concept, and magnetohydrodynamics plays a role in understanding the acceleration mechanism.
GingerCat
I have a question which puzzled me when I was reading up about auroras. When talking about the interaction of the solar wind and the Earth's magnetic field, the book said that "particles are accelerated along magnetic field lines towards the earth"

That didn’t sound quite right, as I was taught that the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is always perpendicular to the motion, so the path would be bent into a circle. If there was a component of the velocity parallel to the magnetic field, it would move that way in a helical path, spiralling along the magnetic field lines. That is pretty much what the book said, but this would imply there is no acceleration. The speed of the particles is unchanged, they are just directed to the poles of the Earth.

So I at first assumed that there is no acceleration, and this was just a sloppy choice of words by the author. But I have now read similar statements in several reputable articles, so I start to wonder if there is more to it. I know that magnetohydrodynamics is complicated because the current of all the moving particles will contribute to the magnetic field, but I can’t see how there can be an acceleration mechanism if the force is always perpendicular to the motion. Are the particles picking up extra kinetic energy from some other source?

Likes tech99
Physics news on Phys.org
GingerCat said:
If there was a component of the velocity parallel to the magnetic field, it would move that way in a helical path, spiralling along the magnetic field lines.That is pretty much what the book said, but this would imply there is no acceleration.

yes the particles spiral down the field lines and the spiralling does imply an acceleration
They are accelerating because they are undergoing a constant change in direction
The same way as the moon orbiting around the Earth or the Earth around the sun is under constant acceleration
This is a non-linear acceleration
Acceleration is a vector quantity ie. made up of velocity (not speed) and direction. If either velocity OR direction is changing, you have an accelerationcheers
Dave

Last edited:
davenn said:
They are accelerating because they are undergoing a constant change in direction
The question is about acceleration parallel to the Earth's magnetic field lines.

A.T. said:
The question is about acceleration parallel to the Earth's magnetic field lines.

the particles are not moving parallel to the field lines
charged particles won't move in a straight line in a magnetic field, their path will be curved

reread the OP's first 2 paragraphs

they spiral along the field lines and down to the Earth's' magnetic poles

Edit and the thread title ...
Are particles accelerated along magnetic field lines?

to which the answer is, Yes

Last edited:
davenn said:
he particles are not moving parallel to the field lines
So what? They could still gain velocity along this direction, or not. That is the OPs question.

GingerCat said:
I have a question which puzzled me when I was reading up about auroras. When talking about the interaction of the solar wind and the Earth's magnetic field, the book said that "particles are accelerated along magnetic field lines towards the earth"

That didn’t sound quite right, as I was taught that the force on a charged particle in a magnetic field is always perpendicular to the motion, so the path would be bent into a circle. If there was a component of the velocity parallel to the magnetic field, it would move that way in a helical path, spiralling along the magnetic field lines. That is pretty much what the book said, but this would imply there is no acceleration. The speed of the particles is unchanged, they are just directed to the poles of the Earth.

So I at first assumed that there is no acceleration, and this was just a sloppy choice of words by the author. But I have now read similar statements in several reputable articles, so I start to wonder if there is more to it. I know that magnetohydrodynamics is complicated because the current of all the moving particles will contribute to the magnetic field, but I can’t see how there can be an acceleration mechanism if the force is always perpendicular to the motion. Are the particles picking up extra kinetic energy from some other source?

If you have a UNIFORM magnetic field in, say, the z-direction, then the particles will not have an increase in its velocity along this direction. It will still experience a force and an acceleration, but not in this direction.

If the field is non-uniform, let's say the field lines squeeze into a bottleneck, then all bets are off because the physics is a bit more difficult to describe than just the simple geometry of the Lorentz force. You can get a gain in speed in the same z-direction, but obviously, because of the curvature of the field lines, not all of them are always parallel to this direction.

So you are correct in thinking that there is no acceleration in the same direction as the magnetic field lines, but sometime article like this plays fast and loose with what they say. This is where having just a little or no knowledge makes for a blissful ignorance. But if you know a bit more physics, like you do, then it makes it confusing.

BTW. I always encourage my students to bring up topics like this, especially when they read it somewhere that simply just didn't click. It shows that (i) they noticed an inconsistency with how they understood things and (ii) they were thinking. I wish you were one of my students. :)

Zz.

Likes GingerCat, davenn and BvU
No gain in Energy, although the speed could increase. Energy is only gained, afaik, by interaction with Electric Fields.

In the broad sense of the term accelerate, meaning just some change in velocity, yes.
As ions move towards the poles, the parallel velocity decreases and the perpendicular velocity increases. This is the magnetic mirror effect.
Ions trapped in the magnetic field will tend to bounce back and forth between the poles.

Related to Are particles accelerated along magnetic field lines?

1. What are magnetic field lines?

Magnetic field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of a magnetic field. They are used to visualize and map out the magnetic field around a magnet or a current-carrying wire.

2. Why are particles accelerated along magnetic field lines?

Particles are accelerated along magnetic field lines because they experience a force, called the Lorentz force, when they move in a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field, causing the particle to accelerate along the magnetic field line.

3. How do magnetic field lines affect particle motion?

Magnetic field lines can deflect the path of a moving charged particle. The strength and direction of the magnetic field determine the amount and direction of the deflection. Particles moving parallel to the magnetic field lines will not experience any deflection.

4. Can particles move in any direction along a magnetic field line?

No, particles can only move in a direction perpendicular to the magnetic field lines. This is because the Lorentz force acts perpendicular to both the particle's motion and the magnetic field, causing the particle to accelerate along the magnetic field line.

5. How are magnetic field lines related to particle acceleration in Earth's magnetosphere?

In Earth's magnetosphere, particles are accelerated along magnetic field lines due to the interaction between the solar wind and Earth's magnetic field. This acceleration can cause the particles to form radiation belts and produce phenomena such as auroras at the poles.