Are nuclear batteries possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a nuclear "battery" using beryllium/graphite shielding and explores the idea of a small nuclear reactor measuring 50cm by 50cm. The conversation also touches on the size of the smallest possible fusion reactor and the energy needed to initiate fusion. It is mentioned that all current methods of producing fusion power require large machines and cannot be miniaturized.
Pseudo Epsilon
is it possible to make a nuclear "battery" which works off nuclear not electrochemical reactions using berylium/graphite shielding?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is
Please try to look up those things yourself first. It takes you less time than posting here.

i meant fission or something more powerful?

That would be a nuclear reactor. Fission is just one type of nuclear reactions.

i know that but what I am asking is:theoreticly can you make a nuclear reactor 50cm by 50cm asuming the u-235 was dense enough to reach critical mass?

Without shielding and heat sinks... yes.
The reactor measured 39.62 cm (15.6 in) long, 22.4 cm (8.8 in) diameter and held 37 fuel rods containing 235U as uranium-zirconium-hydride fuel.

Pseudo Epsilon said:
i know that but what I am asking is:theoreticly can you make a nuclear reactor 50cm by 50cm asuming the u-235 was dense enough to reach critical mass?

You can make one even smaller than that. For Pu-239 with a reflector it can be as small as a sphere with radius ~5 cm.

Well, a sphere of plutonium is not a reactor. You need moderation, control mechanisms, cooling cycles, power generation and so on.

if it got to 5cm couldn't you just use thermionic methods of power generation instead of steam?

mfb said:
Well, a sphere of plutonium is not a reactor. You need moderation, control mechanisms, cooling cycles, power generation and so on.

Well you don't need a moderator for a reflected plutonium sphere. And it can be designed to be self-regulating. But you're right that it would still need a coolant system, heat exchanger, and thermoelectric converter to actually produce electricity. I imagine the SNAP-10 reactor, at about the size of a microwave oven, is about as small as one could be practically made.

assuming break even fusion was achieved how big do you think the smallest fusion reactor could be?

Pseudo Epsilon said:
assuming break even fusion was achieved how big do you think the smallest fusion reactor could be?

Enormous. The ability of a magnetic confinement fusion reactor to produce power is proportional to its volume. ITER will hopefully be the first reactor to achieve better than break-even, I think it has a diameter of something like 20 meters.

out of the hypothetical methods of fusion (inertial, z-pinch, laser ect..) what would be the smallest?

Pseudo Epsilon said:
out of the hypothetical methods of fusion (inertial, z-pinch, laser ect..) what would be the smallest?

There are no laser confinement fusion methods close to achieving breakeven, and even if they were they are even more massive machines than the tokamak. There is no compact way to producing fusion power, as all of the various methods require enormous power inputs in either magnetic fields or lasers to produce the conditions required for fusion to occur. These simply cannot me miniaturized.

lol, what is the energy needed to initiate fusion?

In weapons? You need a fission bomb to start fusion, conventional explosives are not powerful enough.

Related to Are nuclear batteries possible?

1. Can nuclear batteries be used as a power source for everyday devices?

Yes, nuclear batteries, also known as radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs), have been used as a power source for various devices such as pacemakers, space probes, and remote weather stations.

2. How do nuclear batteries work?

Nuclear batteries work by converting the heat produced from the decay of a radioactive material, such as plutonium-238, into electricity through thermoelectric materials. These materials use the temperature difference between the hot and cold sides of the battery to generate a voltage.

3. Are nuclear batteries safe to use?

Yes, nuclear batteries are considered safe to use as they are designed to contain and shield the radioactive material inside. Additionally, the amount of radiation emitted from a nuclear battery is very low and poses little risk to human health.

4. Can nuclear batteries explode like nuclear reactors?

No, nuclear batteries do not have the potential to explode like nuclear reactors. The amount of radioactive material used in nuclear batteries is much smaller and is not enough to sustain a chain reaction. Additionally, nuclear batteries have multiple layers of protection to prevent any accidents.

5. What are the limitations of nuclear batteries?

One limitation of nuclear batteries is their limited power output. They produce a small amount of electricity compared to other power sources, making them suitable for low-power devices. Additionally, nuclear batteries have a limited lifespan as the radioactive material decays over time and loses its potency.