Are non-integer moduli useful in modular arithmetic?

• Thread starter m00npirate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of non-integer moduli in modular arithmetic and whether it is useful or not. The participants also consider the implications of using moduli such as \pi and \sqrt{2} and whether it has any physical interpretation in terms of circles. Some suggest using a subgroup of \mathbb{R} as the natural place to do Fourier analysis. Ultimately, it is argued that using a modulus of \pi or \sqrt{2} does not provide any useful information in modular arithmetic.
m00npirate
I've been looking around for this, but I can't find any discussion of non-integer moduli for use in modular arithmetic. Is it not defined simply because it isn't useful? Every source I look at will say "integers a and b are congruent modulo n if blah blah blah." However, it makes just as much sense to say [itex] \pi + \sqrt{2} \equiv \sqrt{2} \hspace{7 mm}(mod \pi)[/itex].

<strike> The reason I'm wondering about this is because every circle would have zero circumference and area [itex](mod \pi)[/itex] which seemed absurd. Can anyone explain? </strike>Thanks a ton!

EDIT: Just realized I was being silly, as obviously most circles will still be fine .But is there a physical way to interpret this for those circles with 0 circumference but non-zero area etc? Or is modular arithmetic just not useful here?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You say it 'makes as much sense', but does it? What would it mean? Modulo arithmetic is to do with divisibility. You are naturally moving into a field where everything divides everything else (forgetting zero for a second), so it isn't useful: everything would be equivalent to everything else; it isn't telling you anything.

It would make sense in the meaning of division if we define it like this (which is obviously the definition the original example implies):

[tex]a=\pi \cdot q+b, 0 \leq b < \pi \Rightarrow a \equiv b (mod \pi)[/tex] where [tex]a,b \in \mathbb{R}, q \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Aboslutely right, Jarle: there are ways to make mod work, though there is no reason why b should restricted to be in the range 0 to pi, unless you're making that transitive by fiat.

Normally one sees things "mod 2pi", as that is as natural period occurring when you use trig functions.

Usually, this is formally written in terms of cosets of a subgroup, in this case inside R. The group [itex]\mathbb{R}/2\pi\mathbb{Z}[/itex] is the natural place to do Fourier analysis. Of course it is isomorphic to the groups [itex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z}[/itex], and [itex]\mathbb{R}/\pi\mathbb{Z}[/itex], which can also be used - then it comes down to personal preference about what constants you want floating around. I remember someone once saying that 2pi is defined to be equal to 1 for the purposes of Fourier series. (Think Planck constant/length/time by analogy I suppose.)

I don't see why just because things differ by a multiple of pi this implies anything about a circle's physical measurements that is 'absurd'.

Last edited:

Related to Are non-integer moduli useful in modular arithmetic?

What is a non-integer modulus?

A non-integer modulus is a number that is not a whole number or integer. It is usually expressed as a decimal or fraction.

How is a non-integer modulus calculated?

A non-integer modulus is calculated by taking the remainder of a division problem where the divisor is not evenly divisible by the dividend. For example, the non-integer modulus of 7.5 divided by 2 is 0.5.

What is the significance of a non-integer modulus in mathematics?

A non-integer modulus is important in mathematics because it allows for the calculation of remainders in situations where the divisor is not a whole number. This can be useful in solving various equations and problems.

Can a non-integer modulus be negative?

Yes, a non-integer modulus can be negative. This occurs when the dividend is a negative number and the divisor is a positive number, resulting in a negative remainder.

How is a non-integer modulus used in real life?

A non-integer modulus has many real-life applications, such as calculating interest rates, determining the time it takes for an object to complete a revolution, and analyzing data in scientific studies. It is also commonly used in computer programming and cryptography.