Sleep position gives personality clue: BBC

In summary, Professor Chris Idzikowski has analyzed six common sleeping positions and found that each is linked to a particular personality type. Some people may change their sleeping position due to physical discomfort, while others may have been trained to sleep in a certain way. However, these positions may not always accurately reflect a person's personality.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Professor Chris Idzikowski, director of the Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, has analysed six common sleeping positions - and found that each is linked to a particular personality type.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm

Biology news on Phys.org
... so when I use several positions in sleeping, I am schizoid, or have a multiple personality? ...

I recently changed my sleeping position because of shoulder pain...

We were trained to sleep in the soldier position in the Marines.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I recently changed my sleeping position because of shoulder pain...

I have had to modify mine a couple of times due to surgery. I don't really fit any of these models...but I think I started as a Soldier
people who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved...
ya, right! Not me for sure.

1. What is the connection between sleep position and personality?

Sleep position can suggest certain personality traits or tendencies. For example, those who sleep on their stomachs may be more outgoing and adventurous, while back sleepers may be more reserved and introverted.

2. How was this connection between sleep position and personality discovered?

This connection was first observed by sleep experts and researchers who noticed patterns in sleep positions among individuals with similar personality traits. Studies have since been conducted to further explore this relationship.

3. Is sleep position the only factor that can give clues about personality?

No, sleep position is just one aspect that can provide insight into someone's personality. Other factors such as sleep duration, dream patterns, and sleep disorders can also give clues about one's personality.

4. Can sleep position change over time?

Yes, sleep position can change over time due to various factors such as age, weight, and health conditions. It is not uncommon for individuals to switch between different sleep positions throughout their lives.

5. Is there a scientific basis for the relationship between sleep position and personality?

While more research is needed to fully understand this relationship, studies have shown that sleep position can affect brain function and hormone levels, which can in turn influence personality traits. However, other factors such as upbringing and genetics also play a significant role in shaping one's personality.