Are Muons and Tauons Higher-Dimensional KK Modes?

In summary, the KK modes of a scalar field have masses given, in appropriate units, by roughly$$ m_n^2 = m_0^2 + \left(\frac{n}{R}\right)^2.$$For leptons, there should be particles with 2*muonmass-electronmass, 3*muonmass-2*electronmass and so on. Those particles are missing, and the tau does not even fit in that pattern.The decays of the muon do not fit to that hypothesis.
MManuel Abad
Muons and tauons as KK modes??

Hello, everybody:

I have (what I think is) a silly question. We all know that μ and τ particles are just as electrons, but with larger mass. Could it be that they are heavier Kaluza-Klein modes of the e in a higher dimensional theory, where the extra dimension is compactified?

I know I'm talking without mentioning a specific model (I don't know any), but I wonder if it is plausible or if there is a physical/mathematical argument against such a thing.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's an interesting question. The KK modes of a scalar field have masses given, in appropriate units, by roughly

$$ m_n^2 = m_0^2 + \left(\frac{n}{R}\right)^2,$$

where ##m_0## is the mass of the field in the higher dimensional theory, and ##R## is a characteristic length scale of the of the compact dimensions. For example, if there is one circular extra dimension, ##R## is the radius, but in some more complicated example it would be related to an appropriate root of the volume.

In your model, ##m_0 \sim m_e## and

$$ m_\mu^2 = m_e^2 + \frac{1}{R^2},$$

therefore

$$R \sim \frac{1}{106~\mathrm{MeV}} \sim 2 \cdot 10^{-15} ~\mathrm{m}.$$

So the extra dimensions would have to be of femtometer size, which is the same order of the size of the proton. Such a large scale extra dimension would have been seen in experiments and, in fact, the present limits on extra dimensions is that they have to be at least ##10^{-4}## times smaller than this value (##\sim 1 ~\mathrm{TeV}## in terms of energy scales).

There is an easy way to see that such large extra dimensions would be ruled out. Namely the other particles of the SM would have to have KK partners, so, for example, we would need a particle with the same quantum numbers as the photon with a mass almost equal to the muon mass. There is no such particle.

fzero said:
There is an easy way to see that such large extra dimensions would be ruled out. Namely the other particles of the SM would have to have KK partners, so, for example, we would need a particle with the same quantum numbers as the photon with a mass almost equal to the muon mass. There is no such particle.
For leptons, there should be particles with 2*muonmass-electronmass, 3*muonmass-2*electronmass and so on. Those particles are missing, and the tau does not even fit in that pattern.

In addition, I think the decays of the muon do not fit to that hypothesis.

That'll do! Thanks! It didn't occur to me to look for the size of the extra dimension...

Cheers

Related to Are Muons and Tauons Higher-Dimensional KK Modes?

1. What are muons and tauons?

Muons and tauons are types of elementary particles that belong to a group known as leptons. They are both electrically charged and have a spin of 1/2, meaning they behave as both particles and waves.

2. What are KK modes?

KK modes, also known as Kaluza-Klein modes, are hypothetical particles that arise from the idea of extra dimensions in physics. They are predicted to exist in theories such as string theory and can have higher masses and different properties than the particles we observe in our 3-dimensional world.

3. How are muons and tauons related to KK modes?

In some theories, muons and tauons are considered to be KK modes of the electron, meaning they are the higher mass versions of the electron that exist in extra dimensions. These particles would have similar properties to electrons but with different masses and possibly different interactions.

4. What is the significance of studying muons and tauons as KK modes?

Studying muons and tauons as KK modes can give us a better understanding of the structure of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. It can also help us test and refine theories that involve extra dimensions and potentially lead us to new discoveries in physics.

5. How are scientists researching muons and tauons as KK modes?

Scientists are using various experiments, such as particle colliders, to search for evidence of KK modes. They also use mathematical models and simulations to predict the properties and behavior of these particles. Future advancements in technology and experimental techniques may also aid in the search for muons and tauons as KK modes.