Are microbiologist jobs very risky?

• Thread starter Jin S Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary: And finally, as with any type of work, if you are not healthy enough to do the job, you should not do it.
Jin S Zhang
Hi guys,
I am majoring in Microbiology right now because I want to be a microbiologist. However, I heard that microbiologist jobs are very risky because they have to research on harmful bacteria and viruses in the laboratory. Have you ever heard of any microbiologist who have died from diseaese during the research? Is there any safety procedure for them before doing research?

Biology news on Phys.org
Jin S Zhang said:
Hi guys,
I am majoring in Microbiology right now because I want to be a microbiologist. However, I heard that microbiologist jobs are very risky because they have to research on harmful bacteria and viruses in the laboratory. Have you ever heard of any microbiologist who have died from diseaese during the research? Is there any safety procedure for them before doing research?

Absolutely there are safety procedures, training, and audits in place. What country are you in?

berkeman said:
Absolutely there are safety procedures, training, and audits in place. What country are you in?

I am in the U.S right now.

Jin S Zhang said:
Hi guys,

I am a microbiologist and the short answer is yes but the longer answer is more nuanced. It really depends on the bacteria or viruses you are studying. If you are studying microbes that are associated with the environment or plants, you face a minimum of risk coming from the microorganism. If you work with human pathogen, risks are higher. However, those risk are usually well managed in a lab environment.

The other source of risk is the chemicals you used for research. These probably posse the greater risk in a lab environment. But again, these tend to be well managed in a lab environment if safety procedures are followed.

Jin S Zhang said:
Hi guys,

Safety training has reduced the risks considerably- provided people obey the safety rules. I can always find students working in the lab with open-toed shoes, for example. But working in a laboratory environment has always been risky, given the nature of the work and equipment used (electrical hazards, chemical hazards, laser safety, LN2, radiation hazards, biohazards...) See if anyone around you can remember "mouth pipetting"- I think some techs still do this.

Safety procedures are very strict, especially in the US. As said, if you follow all the regulations the risks are reduced to a minimum. A lab can be a hazardous environment and things can always go wrong, in those instances it is key that you know how to protect yourself and act in a case of an emergency.

I've seen accidental spills happen with a variety of substances: mutagenic, neurotoxic, radioactive, mercury. In all the cases nobody was harmed and the spill could be removed (and yes, the kind of shoes and clothes you wear matters).

The biggest hazard is not paying attention, if you have a rotor that spins around with 40,000 rotations per minute and has a centrifugal force of 100,000 x g and you forget to secure it to the centrifuge or if you forget to balance the samples, that is just plain stupid. When these things come loose they will just crash through walls (yes, that happens).

Related to Are microbiologist jobs very risky?

What is a microbiologist?

A microbiologist is a scientist who studies microorganisms, such as bacteria, viruses, fungi, and parasites. They use various techniques and tools to study the characteristics, behavior, and interactions of these microscopic organisms.

What are the potential risks associated with microbiologist jobs?

Microbiologist jobs may involve exposure to potentially harmful microorganisms, chemicals, and biological samples. They may also involve working with hazardous equipment and materials. Therefore, there is a potential risk of contracting infections or developing allergies or sensitivities.

How do microbiologists protect themselves from these risks?

Microbiologists follow strict safety protocols and wear protective gear, such as gloves, lab coats, and goggles, to minimize the risk of exposure to harmful microorganisms and chemicals. They also work in specially designed laboratories and follow proper disposal procedures for hazardous materials.

Are all microbiologist jobs equally risky?

No, the level of risk varies depending on the type of work and the specific microorganisms being studied. For example, a microbiologist working in a clinical laboratory may have a lower risk of exposure compared to someone working in a research lab studying highly infectious or pathogenic microorganisms.

What measures are in place to ensure the safety of microbiologists?

Employers are responsible for providing a safe working environment for microbiologists. This includes implementing safety protocols, providing proper training, and ensuring the availability of necessary safety equipment. Additionally, government agencies such as OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) have regulations in place to protect workers in laboratory settings.