Are max and min of n iid r.v.s. independent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the independence of X_(n) and X_(1), defined as the maximum and minimum of a sequence of i.i.d. random variables X_1, ..., X_n. The conversation concludes that they are not independent, as the maximum is always larger than the minimum. Different methods for verifying this are suggested, including using the factorization of the joint pdf or finding a statistics text that discusses the distributions of order statistics. It is ultimately determined that the p.d.f of X_(n) and X_(1) can be expressed in terms of the marginal pdfs and joint pdf, showing that they are not independent.
maverick280857
Hi

Suppose [itex]X_{1}, \ldots, X_{n}[/itex] is a sequence of i.i.d. random variables. We define

[tex]X_{(n)} = max(X_{1}, \ldots, X_{n})[/tex]
[tex]X_{(1)} = min(X_{1}, \ldots, X_{n})[/tex]

Are [itex]X_{(n)}[/itex] and [itex]X_{(1)}[/itex] independent?

Whats the best/easiest way to verify this?

Thanks
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not independent. The maximum is always larger than the minimum ...

Yeah, nice observation. Thanks :smile:

Suppose I wanted to show it using the factorization of the joint pdf or joint pmf, how would I do that?

You just have to find one example such that the cdf does not factorize.

Let m be the minimum, M the maximum, x some real number

What about P(m<x && M<x)

This is equal to only M being less than x ( because then m is automatically also less than x.

so P(m<x && M<x) = P(M<x)

For this to be equal to the factorized probability P(m<x)P(M<x) you need to have P(m<x)=1 for all real x ...which is not true:smile:

Thanks Pere :smile:

Look for a statistics text that discusses the distributions of order statistics and sets of order statistics. You will be able to find a general formula for the p.d.f of the [tex] \min \text{ and } \max [/tex] in terms of the marginal pdfs and joint pdf of the sample. Once you see that form, you will see that they need not be independent.

Related to Are max and min of n iid r.v.s. independent?

1. What does it mean for n iid r.v.s. to be independent?

When n identical and independently distributed random variables (iid r.v.s) are independent, it means that the value of one variable does not affect the value of another variable. In other words, the occurrence or outcome of one variable does not influence the occurrence or outcome of another variable.

2. How is independence of n iid r.v.s. determined?

The independence of n iid r.v.s. can be determined by examining the joint probability distribution of the variables. If the joint probability distribution can be factored into individual probability distributions for each variable, then the variables are considered independent.

3. What is the significance of max and min in n iid r.v.s.?

The max and min values in n iid r.v.s. provide important information about the range and spread of the data. The max value represents the upper limit of the data, while the min value represents the lower limit. These values can be useful in determining the overall distribution and characteristics of the data.

4. Can the max and min of n iid r.v.s. be dependent?

No, the max and min of n iid r.v.s. are always independent. This is because the values of these variables do not depend on each other and are not affected by the values of other variables in the set.

5. How does the independence of max and min affect data analysis?

The independence of max and min in n iid r.v.s. allows for simpler and more accurate data analysis. It means that the two variables can be analyzed separately without any bias or interference from each other, leading to more reliable results and conclusions.