Are Master's Degrees in Applied Physics/Engineering Physics Competitive?

In summary: So, if you're willing to take on the challenge, it might be worth looking into. In summary, while a master's degree in engineering physics or applied physics may not be necessary for a successful career in medicine, it may be beneficial if you want to concentrate on research.
rs2266
Hey guys, I just had a question concerning graduate school.

I completed my freshman year at college and will begin sophomore year in the fall. I'll be taking Classical Mechanics and Advanced Lab. I have taken Physics 1, 2, 3, and a physics elective (medical physics). As for math, I've done Cal I, II, III, and Diffy Q.

Anywho, currently, I am doing what is called a "liberal arts" education. Well, I'm pre-med and I have to take these time-consuming honors classes (usually 2/semester). I will basically only have time to finish a BA in Physics (minor in math). Thus, I want to go to graduate school and try for a Master's degree in engineering physics or applied physics before attempting to do anything else so I have an advanced, more solidified background in physics.

My question is: How competitive are master's degrees in applied physics/engineering physics?
(compared to PhD programs) Is it easier to get in? Are Physics GRE score averages generally lower? Is my reasoning sufficient for wanting to apply for a Master's degree?

Cost isn't a real concern, to be honest.

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Do you actually WANT to go to medical school?

2. Terminal master's programs are USUALLY a bit easier to get into, although I am not sure that rule is absolute.

Yes, I do intend on going to medical school, but I was hoping to do an MD/PhD program. I want to apply for a PhD in biomedical engineering, neuroscience, or applied physics, but I just don't think I"ll have the sufficient background in physics for a PhD. That's the jist of my reason for doing a Master's...

In my opinion the difference between a thesis-based M.Sc. and a Ph.D. is simply that the research/thesis project is is longer and more independently guided for the the Ph.D. The background needed to do either is about the same. Doing an M.Sc. allows you to develop the skills needed to do the independent work required at the Ph.D. level. But as far as the fundamental physics background required for entry - it's about the same.

In the MD/PhD program where I work, the PhD is in medical science. You can't just pick any field you want (although this may be different elsewhere).

Have you considered medical physics?

Yes, I have considered medical physics, but I don't really find it that interesting. I actually visited a couple of hospitals to see what they do. It was cool, but I don't think I would enjoy it that much. I thought the actually machinery was the most interesting part, not really the processes they go through for helping a patient.

Choppy, your post worries me because I really don't think I'll have a good physics background for graduate school. I don't think my university has an adequate physics department, which is something I found out this past year. Also, I was hoping to do an MS without a thesis component.

I guess this is an open question, then. Do you guys think it makes sense to get an MS in Applied Physics/Engineering Physics at all? Or am I better off just attempting to go to medical school?

I guess I'm just confused...

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

If your plan is to do medicine, an additional master's degree would be nice, but will you really need it? Doctors are generally pretty busy people. Those in the MD/PhD program that I'm familiar concentrate on the efficacy of different modalities of radiation cancer therapy. But it's not like they see patients in the morning and design new linear accelerators in the afternoon - it's more like they see patients in the morning and spend a significant amount of time designing clinical trials. (Again, it may be different at other institutions.)

If you'd prefer to concentrate on research (and are happy with the considerably lesser pay scale), then you should pursue the graduate school option. It's nice to see that you actually went to a hospital to talk with people about a potential career - that's really the best way of investigating the matter.

Further, assuming your background qualifies you for entrance to grad school, it's not unheard of for grad students to take senior level undergraduate courses to polish up in areas of weakness.

Related to Are Master's Degrees in Applied Physics/Engineering Physics Competitive?

1. What is a Master's in Applied Physics?

A Master's in Applied Physics is an advanced degree program that focuses on the practical application of physics principles and theories to solve real-world problems in various industries such as engineering, technology, and research. It is a highly interdisciplinary field that combines physics, mathematics, and engineering principles to develop innovative solutions.

2. What are the admission requirements for a Master's in Applied Physics?

Admission requirements may vary depending on the university, but generally, applicants must have a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, strong academic background in mathematics and physics, and satisfactory scores on standardized tests such as the GRE. Some universities may also require letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and a resume.

3. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a Master's in Applied Physics?

Graduates with a Master's in Applied Physics have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, energy, biotechnology, telecommunications, and materials science. They can work as research scientists, engineers, data analysts, consultants, and educators, among others. With their strong analytical and problem-solving skills, they are highly sought after in various fields.

4. What skills will I gain from a Master's in Applied Physics?

Students in a Master's in Applied Physics program develop a strong foundation in physics principles and gain practical skills in experimental design, data analysis, computer programming, and mathematical modeling. They also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills, which are essential for success in any field.

5. Can I pursue a Master's in Applied Physics if I have a background in a different field?

Yes, you can pursue a Master's in Applied Physics even if you have a background in a different field. Many universities offer bridge programs or prerequisite courses for students with non-physics backgrounds to prepare them for the program. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics to succeed in the program.