Are magnetic monopoles expected?

In summary, physicists expect to find magnetic monopoles once a sufficiently obnoxious particle accelerator is built, but currently there is no theory that predicts their existence and no evidence that they would exist in the same way as other magnets.
Decimator
Do physicists expect to find magnetic monopoles once a sufficiently obnoxious particle accelerator is built?

Physics news on Phys.org
Some theories predict them, some do not. So "expected" is just guesswork, and depends on the physicist you ask.

I think most people would be very surprised, but who knows.

So the basic answer is: "No, unlike the Higgs boson, monopoles are not predicted with any degree of certainty." Correct?

Once you understand the relationship between the electrostatic force and the magnetic force magnetic monopoles make no sense.

I suppose if you built a magnet so large that the opposite pole was in a causally disconnected part of the universe you could consider your local end to be a monopole, but even then you could model any part of the magnet, or the whole thing, as a collection of many dipole magnets fastened together.

Decimator said:
So the basic answer is: "No, unlike the Higgs boson, monopoles are not predicted with any degree of certainty." Correct?
The Higgs boson was expected - and compared to that, monopoles are not expected.

mrspeedybob said:
Once you understand the relationship between the electrostatic force and the magnetic force magnetic monopoles make no sense.
I come to the opposite conclusion: Magnetic monopoles would give symmetric Maxwell equations.

$$\vec\nabla\cdot\vec E=4\pi\rho_e$$
$$\vec\nabla\cdot\vec B=4\pi\rho_m$$
$$\vec\nabla\times\vec E=-\frac{4\pi}{c}\vec j_m-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\vec B}{\partial t}$$
$$\vec\nabla\times\vec B=\frac{4\pi}{c}\vec j_e+\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\vec E}{\partial t}$$
Static electric charges produce electric fields.
Moving electric charges produce magnetic fields (in addition).
Static magnetic charges produce magnetic fields.
Moving magnetic charges produce electric fields (in addition).

Decimator said:

I wouldn't say it like that as there isn't any certainty here. I would say that existence of monopoles does not affect the current batch of testable theories that we have. Monopoles could exist, but right now there isn't a theory that we can test that would demonstrate that the existence of magnetic monopoles would affect the results of the experiment. For now, testable aspects of theories that have magnetic monopoles will predict the same physics that theories without magnetic monopoles.

There are active searches for magnetic monopoles - so at least some theories predict detectable magnetic monopoles (or allow them within their parameter space). MoEDAL even got a part of its name from monopoles.

As far as I'm aware in the standard model there's no reason why they can't or shouldn't exit - it's just a strange property of nature that they don't seem to. And some theories predict their existence, which is why people have spent a lot of money searching for them. To me it seems a very strange mystery that we have no explanation of why they don't exist, if truly they do not.

Maxwell's equations certainly hint that they should exist, because like mfb posted then you have a beautiful and total symmetry between electric and magnetic fields.

(Note that Gauss's law for magnetic monopoles is empirical and not derived from any other assumptions or postulates.)

Related to Are magnetic monopoles expected?

1. Are magnetic monopoles real?

As of now, there is no conclusive evidence of the existence of magnetic monopoles. However, many theories suggest their existence and scientists are actively searching for them.

2. Why are magnetic monopoles important?

Magnetic monopoles, if they exist, would have a fundamental impact on our understanding of electromagnetism and the laws of physics. They could also have practical applications in technology and energy storage.

3. How are magnetic monopoles created?

According to theories, magnetic monopoles could have been created during the early stages of the universe, similar to how other fundamental particles were formed. They could also potentially be created in high-energy particle collisions.

4. Can magnetic monopoles be detected?

Scientists have been searching for magnetic monopoles for many years, but so far, no direct detection has been made. However, there are ongoing experiments and efforts to detect their presence indirectly through their effects on other particles.

5. What would be the implications if magnetic monopoles are discovered?

The discovery of magnetic monopoles would revolutionize our understanding of electromagnetism and the laws of physics. It could also lead to new technologies and advancements in energy storage. Additionally, it would open up new avenues for research and further our knowledge of the universe.