Are Lorentz and Poincare insufficiently credited for special relativity?

In summary, Einstein is commonly regarded as the primary inventor of special relativity, despite the contributions of other scientists such as Lorentz and Poincare. However, some argue that the physical significance of special relativity could have been realized by someone else due to the discovery of the Lorentz transformation. Additionally, Poincare had already discussed the concept of relativity before Einstein's publication. The difference between Einstein and others lies in their interpretations, but instrumentalism in physics suggests that this should not be emphasized. It is believed that special relativity would have been elucidated even without Einstein, and that general relativity is his true masterpiece. However, it is possible that others such as Minkowski, Nordstrom, and Hilbert
petergreat
Einstein is commonly regarded as the primary inventor of special relativity. I'd like to trust the collective wisdom of others, but I never feel fully convinced. The argument is typically "Though people like Lorentz and Poincare have worked out most of the math it's only Einstein who realized the physical significance."

Personally I find this argument very handwaving. IMHO since the Lorentz transformation (NOT discovered by Einstein) allows you to transform into new spacetime variables in which the particle velocities are different, isn't it inevitable that someone would realize this is just a change of inertial reference frame? For example, when we try to calculate the motion of two electrons separated by some distance and initially traveling with the same speed in the same direction, we can use the Lorentz transformation to set the initial speeds of both electrons to 0, and now the problem is massively simplified. Even if Einstein didn't publish his 1905 paper, if people used this kind of tricks a lot, wouldn't someone finally realize this is just a change of reference frame, which has nothing to do with aether?

I've also learned that Poincare actually realized the fact that you can never experimentally determine your velocity with respect to the aether, before Einstein published his paper. Poincare talked discussed this fact in his philosophical writings but not physics writings. If Poincare realized this startling fact, isn't it fair to say that he more or less already understood relativity?

It seems the only thing that distinguishes Einstein from Lorentz and Poincare was his interpretation. But 20th century physics, especially quantum mechanics, has taught us the importance of instrumentalism in physics, i.e. different interpretations of the same underlying theory are redundant as long as they have exactly the same experimental prediction. The emphasis of the superiority of Einstein's interpretation is to the contrary of this attitude. Einstein's credit lies in performing the Occam's Razor reduction, but I think this is the easier step compared with the actual formulation of the theory.

Finally, I think that in 1905 special relativity, if not completely elucidated, is already on the corner, and even without Einstein someone would elucidate it, probably within a few years. It is my impression that general relativity, rather than special relativity, is the real masterpiece of Einstein. Without Einstein, It's not clear if anyone else would even realize the necessity of Riemannian geometry in constructing a modern theory of gravity, and I wouldn't be surprised if today's physicists are still using fudge factors like effective potentials to patch up Newton's gravity theory and explain phenomenon such as precession of Mercury orbit.

This is just my 2 cents. I hope my opinion is not too controversial to be suitable for this forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though it probably won't change your opinion, read (if you have access)

http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=AJPIAS000074000009000818000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes&ref=no .

Last edited by a moderator:
Weinberg in his GR textbook says "Fitzgerald, Lorentz and Poincare ... Poincare in particular seems to have glimpsed the revolutionary implications that this would have for mechanics, and Whittaker gives the credit for special relativity to Poincare and Lorentz. Without entering this controversy, it is safe to say that a comprehensive solution to the problems of relativity in electrodynamics and mechanics was first set out in detail in 1905 by Albert Einstein"

For GR, I think several other interesting contributors were Minkowski, Nordstrom (first relativistic theory of gravity!) and Hilbert. Would we have GR now without Einstein? I think it is possible, say via the route that Deser, Feynman, Weinberg etc took, but of course, we can't know for sure, since they had the benefit of hindsight.

Related to Are Lorentz and Poincare insufficiently credited for special relativity?

1. What is the difference between Lorentz and Poincare's contributions to special relativity?

Lorentz and Poincare were both influential scientists who made significant contributions to the development of special relativity. However, their approaches were slightly different. Lorentz's work focused on the mathematical transformations that described how space and time were affected by an object's velocity, while Poincare's work emphasized the importance of the principle of relativity and the constancy of the speed of light.

2. Why are Lorentz and Poincare sometimes overlooked when discussing special relativity?

Lorentz and Poincare's work on special relativity was overshadowed by Einstein's theory, which provided a more complete and elegant explanation of the phenomenon. Additionally, Einstein's work gained more recognition and attention due to the publication of his famous paper in 1905, while Lorentz and Poincare's work was published earlier and did not receive as much attention.

3. How did Lorentz and Poincare's work contribute to the development of special relativity?

Lorentz and Poincare's work served as important building blocks for Einstein's theory of special relativity. Lorentz's mathematical transformations and Poincare's principle of relativity were both influential in shaping Einstein's ideas and providing a foundation for his theory.

4. What were some key differences between Lorentz and Poincare's theories and Einstein's theory of special relativity?

One of the main differences between Lorentz and Poincare's theories and Einstein's theory was the concept of simultaneity. Lorentz and Poincare believed in an absolute time and that two events that occurred at the same time for one observer would occur at different times for another observer in relative motion. However, Einstein's theory rejected the idea of absolute time and introduced the concept of time dilation.

5. Why is it important to recognize the contributions of Lorentz and Poincare to special relativity?

Lorentz and Poincare's work played a crucial role in the development of special relativity and paved the way for Einstein's groundbreaking theory. By recognizing their contributions, we gain a better understanding of the evolution of scientific ideas and how different scientists contributed to our current understanding of the universe.