Are left handed people faster in sports

• Thread starter tmoan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sports
In summary, left handed people are faster than right handed people in some sports because the impulses received from sensory neurons end up in the one hemisphere in the brain and has to pass to the other one then a message is sent to motor neurons in right handed people.
tmoan
i have read an article a long time ago about left handed people being faster than right handed people in sports.

it was because the impulses received from sensory neurons end up in the one hemisphere in the brain and has to pass to the other one then a message is sent to motor neurons in right handed people.

while in left handed people there is no message sent across the brain because one hemisphere is responsible for receiving sensory impulses and sending motor messages.

therefore left handed people should be faster by some milliseconds because there is no message being sent between the hemispheres

can anyone help me out with some studies that supports this claim and give your opinions and references about this matter.

thank you

Biology news on Phys.org
Whilst there can be some differences in the lateralization for brain function in left and right handed people it is by no means absolute. There do seem to be a lot of studies on handedness and sport, but I'm skeptical of the strong claim that left handed people always have this advantage and if this is an advantage at all.

Also at the speed in which neurons conduct, ~85microseconds per cm, I doubt there would be much of an advantage if this turned out to be real.

Ryan_m_b said:
I'm skeptical of the strong claim that left handed people always have this advantage and if this is an advantage at all.
It is certainly an advantage in 1:1 sports such as fencing.

Right-handers are not used to fencing with left-handers, whereas left-handers are quite used to fencing with right-handers.

From personal experience: fencing I dominate, basketball I suck at.

Actually though, with fencing, I fence a lot of friends who aren't trained and they don't have the expectation of a right handed opponent, so they don't have those habits.

Some of them are quite trained by now against a left hander only.

I used to be a fencing instructor at a summer camp. A fellow instructor was left handed and I got very used to handling him.

Though I feel I should mention that this is a little off topic from the OP that referred to a possible left-hand advantage due to brain function rather than training.

I would love to do an fMRI or something and see if I'm wired half backwards.

I suspect Ryan is right. I think, because the overlap in "speed" in R vs L opponents is far, far greater than conduction velocity, there is no way such a "advantage" in conduction distance could ever be quantified.

In baseball a left handed batter can reach first base faster than a right handed batter.
This might seem to support the notion that lefties are faster, but actually the lefty leaves
the batters box at least a step or two closer to first base than a righty.

The fencing advantage in one-on-one sports, has a parallel in tennis & pingpong.
Right handed players are not used to playing a south-paw.
I am a lefty and made use of the advantage in the examples I mention.

Related to Are left handed people faster in sports

1. Are left handed people naturally better at sports?

No, being left handed does not automatically make someone better at sports. While left handed individuals may have certain advantages in sports that require a dominant hand, their overall athletic ability is not solely determined by their handedness.

2. Are left handed athletes more successful than right handed athletes?

There is no clear evidence that left handed athletes are more successful than right handed athletes. Success in sports is determined by a combination of factors such as training, genetics, and environment, rather than handedness.

3. Are left handed people faster than right handed people?

There is no significant difference in speed between left handed and right handed individuals. Speed is influenced by factors such as muscle composition, training, and technique, rather than handedness.

4. Do left handed athletes have an advantage in certain sports?

In some sports, such as baseball and tennis, being left handed may give an advantage due to the element of surprise. However, in other sports like soccer and basketball, being left or right handed does not make a significant difference.

5. Can left handed people train to become faster in sports?

Yes, left handed individuals can train to become faster in sports just like right handed individuals. Speed is not solely determined by handedness, but rather by a combination of factors such as muscle strength, technique, and training.