Are Kinetic and Potential Energy Densities Equal in Stationary Waves?

In summary, the potential and kinetic energy densities for a stationary wave are not equal, as shown by the 1-D wave equation and the general form of a stationary wave. The formula for total energy density also confirms this. By calculating the partial derivatives of Ψ(x,t) and substituting them into the equation for kinetic and potential energy densities, it can be seen that they are not equal. Therefore, it is proved that the potential and kinetic energy densities for a stationary wave are not equal.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Show that the potential and kinetic energy densities for a stationary wave are not equal.

Homework Equations

A) The 1-D Wave Equation:
$$ \frac{\partial^{2} \psi}{\partial x^{2}} = \frac{1}{v^{2}} \frac{\partial^{2}\psi}{\partial t^{2}}$$
B) The general form of a stationary wave: (?)
$$ \psi(x,t) = f(x+vt) +f(x-vt) $$

C)Formula for total energy density in a stationary wave: (w)
$$ w = \frac{\mu}{2}\bigg[ v^{2}\big(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} \big)^{2}+\big( \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} \big)^{2} \bigg] $$

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Work out the partial derivatives of ## \psi(x,t) ##
Let $$ z_{0} =x+vt , z_{1}=x-vt $$

$$ \implies \psi(x,t) = f(z_{0})+f(z_{1}) $$
$$ \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = f'(z_{0})+f'(z_{1}) $$
$$ \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = v[f'(z_{0}) -f'(z_{1})] $$

ii) If the kinetic and potential energy densities are equal it implies:

$$ v^{2} \big(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} \big)^{2} = \big( \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} \big)^{2} $$

iii) So substitute the values from i) into this, get:

$$ [f'(z_{0})+f'(z_{1})]^{2} = [f'(z_{0})-f'(z_{1})]^{2} $$

Which is not, in general true, therefore proved?

But I'm not sure I used the correct form for the equation of the stationary wave, or is this still acceptable?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the equation you used that is the general solution for the wave equation. In my opinion, the form of the standing wave is give as follows
Ψ(x,t)=g(x)f(t)

Likes bananabandana
Yes, but a stationary wave is by definition formed from two traveling waves moving in opposite directions which means it can then be rewritten in the form
that you suggest with the time and space separated?
Or is that not right?

bananabandana said:
Yes, but a stationary wave is by definition formed from two traveling waves moving in opposite directions
No, the definition is as Vipho posted. It is a matter of deduction that two traveling waves of the same amplitude, frequency and speed moving in opposite directions, and satisfying the wave equation, form a standing wave.

Likes bananabandana

Your approach is correct, but there are a few small mistakes in your calculations. Here's a corrected version:

i) Work out the partial derivatives of ## \psi(x,t) ##
Let $$ z_{0} =x+vt , z_{1}=x-vt $$

$$ \implies \psi(x,t) = f(z_{0})+f(z_{1}) $$
$$ \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} = f'(z_{0})+f'(z_{1}) $$
$$ \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} = v[f'(z_{0}) -f'(z_{1})] $$

ii) If the kinetic and potential energy densities are equal it implies:

$$ \frac{1}{2}v^{2} \big(\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial x} \big)^{2} = \frac{1}{2}\big( \frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} \big)^{2} $$

iii) So substitute the values from i) into this, get:

$$ \frac{1}{2}v^{2}[f'(z_{0})+f'(z_{1})]^{2} = \frac{1}{2}[f'(z_{0})-f'(z_{1})]^{2} $$

iv) Simplify and rearrange:

$$ v^{2}[f'(z_{0})+f'(z_{1})]^{2} = [f'(z_{0})-f'(z_{1})]^{2} $$

$$ \implies v^{2}f'^{2}(z_{0}) + 2v^{2}f'(z_{0})f'(z_{1}) + v^{2}f'^{2}(z_{1}) = f'^{2}(z_{0}) - 2f'(z_{0})f'(z_{1}) + f'^{2}(z_{1}) $$

$$ \implies (v^{2}-1)f'^{2}(z_{0}) + (v^{2}-1)f'^{2}(z_{1}) + 2v^{2}f'(z_{0})f'(z_{1}) = 0 $$

v) Since the above equation must hold for all values of x and t, it implies

Related to Are Kinetic and Potential Energy Densities Equal in Stationary Waves?

1. What is a stationary wave?

A stationary wave, also known as a standing wave, is a type of wave that appears to be standing still, hence the name. It is formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other.

2. How is energy transferred in a stationary wave?

In a stationary wave, energy is transferred between potential energy and kinetic energy. The particles of the medium oscillate between maximum displacement and zero displacement, resulting in a transfer of energy between the two forms.

3. What is the relationship between wavelength and energy in a stationary wave?

In a stationary wave, the wavelength is inversely proportional to the energy. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the energy increases, and vice versa. This relationship is due to the conservation of energy in the wave.

4. How does the amplitude affect the energy in a stationary wave?

The amplitude of a stationary wave does not affect the energy. The amplitude only determines the maximum displacement of the particles in the medium, but it does not change the amount of energy being transferred between potential and kinetic forms.

5. What is the role of nodes and antinodes in the energy distribution of a stationary wave?

Nodes and antinodes play a crucial role in the energy distribution of a stationary wave. Nodes, where the particles do not move, represent points of minimum potential energy and maximum kinetic energy. Antinodes, where the particles have maximum displacement, represent points of maximum potential energy and minimum kinetic energy.