Are Gravitational Waves Lossy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of gravitational waves and their properties. The speaker asks if gravitational waves are "lossy" and whether they can be detected, and the other speaker explains that they do not lose energy as they travel through spacetime and are difficult to detect. They also clarify that gravitational waves are different from gravity waves and explain the limitations of detecting them.
Grinkle
Gold Member
Not much more to my question than the title - I imagine that if they do exist they are probably lossy, else with all the potential wave generators that have been in existence generating waves for billions of years there would be lots of waves bouncing all over the place and they would be readily detectable.

By lossy I mean do they lose energy as they travel through whatever medium they travel through, I guess somehow increasing entropy as they lose energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what you mean by "bouncing all over the place". What would they be bouncing off?

Grinkle said:
By lossy I mean do they lose energy as they travel through whatever medium they travel through

The "medium", to the extent there is one, is spacetime. Gravitational waves do not lose energy as they travel through spacetime, except in the obvious sense that they spread out with distance. They only lose energy if they travel through matter and deposit energy in it (for example, by inducing vibrations in the matter that heat it up).

Note that this is not unique to gravitational waves; electromagnetic waves don't lose energy traveling through vacuum either. (But see below.)

Grinkle said:
with all the potential wave generators that have been in existence generating waves for billions of years there would be lots of waves bouncing all over the place and they would be readily detectable.

Over billions of years, you have to take into account the expansion of the universe, which does cause waves (electromagnetic and gravitational) to redshift. That's why the CMBR is at a temperature today of only 2.7 K, whereas it was at a temperature of several thousand degrees when it was first emitted. This can be thought of as a "loss of energy" due to the expansion of the universe, but you have to be careful how you use that heuristic.

Also, there aren't anywhere near as many "potential wave generators" for gravitational waves as there are for electromagnetic waves. EM waves are dipole radiation, so just about any change in a charge distribution will radiate EM waves. Gravitational waves are quadrupole radiation, so only a much more limited set of changes in mass distribution will radiate gravitational waves, and the waves will in general be very weak unless the changes in mass distribution are very rapid and violent.

For example: binary pulsar systems radiate both gravitational and EM waves. (Hulse and Taylor won a Nobel Prize for making the measurements that showed that one particular such system was radiating gravitational waves.) We can easily detect the EM waves from the pulsars; that's how pulsars were discovered in the first place, by their precisely timed EM radiation. But we can't directly detect the gravitational waves at all; the only way we can detect that they are being emitted is indirect, by measuring the slow changes in the orbital parameters of the pulsars due to the wave emission. (Hulse and Taylor's measurements were taken over several decades.) Binary pulsars are neutron stars orbiting each other fairly close together, so they are about as compact as objects can get without being black holes. Yet their gravitational radiation is too weak for us to detect directly.

Last edited:
Likes Grinkle and bcrowell
HallsofIvy said:
I don't know what you mean by "bouncing all over the place". What would they be bouncing off?

Yes, poor choice of words.

Peter - thanks for the background - very helpful in tuning my intuition. I was thinking that gravity wave emitters would be order-of-magnitude as common as EM emitters, looks like I was way off on that.

PeterDonis said:
Yet their gravitational radiation is too weak for us to detect directly.

Advanced LIGO would like to talk to you! :P

Grinkle said:
Not much more to my question than the title - I imagine that if they do exist they are probably lossy, else with all the potential wave generators that have been in existence generating waves for billions of years there would be lots of waves bouncing all over the place and they would be readily detectable.
A point of pedantry I know, but the name "Gravity Waves" is already taken. For clarity, I would advise referring to "Gravitational Waves".

Likes DrGreg

Related to Are Gravitational Waves Lossy?

1. What are gravity waves?

Gravity waves are disturbances in the curvature of spacetime that propagate outward from a source at the speed of light. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein in his theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravity waves created?

Gravity waves are created by the acceleration of massive objects, such as two orbiting black holes or a supernova explosion. As these objects accelerate, they create ripples in spacetime that spread outwards.

3. Are gravity waves lossy?

Yes, gravity waves are lossy. This means that as they travel through space, they lose energy and become weaker. This is due to the fact that they cause small distortions in the fabric of spacetime, which dissipate over time.

4. How do we detect gravity waves?

Gravity waves are detected using highly sensitive instruments called interferometers. These instruments measure tiny changes in the distance between two points caused by passing gravity waves. The most well-known interferometer used to detect gravity waves is the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

5. What are the applications of studying gravity waves?

Studying gravity waves can provide us with valuable information about the universe, such as the properties of massive objects like black holes and the nature of space and time. It can also help us understand the origin of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies, such as more accurate methods of gravitational wave detection.