Are functions a subset of equations?

• Thread starter V0ODO0CH1LD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, there are some key differences between equations and functions. Equations state the equality between two things, while functions are mappings from one set to another with the restriction that one input maps to one output. Equations are more "static", while functions are more "interactive". Additionally, an equation can be used to specify a function, but it is not the same as a function itself.
V0ODO0CH1LD
I read a few posts about the matter but they seemed to contradict each other. So what are the differences between a function and an equation? Furthermore; what explains the fact the some of them are graphed the same even though they are not the same?

I get that functions are defined as mappings from one set to another with the restriction that one input must only map to one output. But then what are equations?

One of the explanations I read was that functions output a value for every input and equations only show the relationship between variables. But then the examples confused me because "f(x) = x" was said to be a function and "x - y = 0" was said to be an equation. But can't "x - y = 0" be viewed as the function of x and y such that any input outputs zero? I mean, there are such things as constant functions, right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would say that x-y=0 can be written as a function. And given that relationship, x is a function of y and y is a function of x.

An equation is simply an expression in which you state that two "things" are equal, like the expression a=b in which you state that a is equal to b. In the equation f(x)=x, f(x) is notation for "the value to which x is mapped by the function f", so the expression simply says "the value that function f maps x to is equal to x".

I think a distinction would be the following:

1 = 1
1 = 2*7 - 13

are equations (they state the equality between the left side and the right side) but you cannot really interpret them as functions, since there is nothing mapped into something else.

the exponential function is a mapping from R to R which gives e^x as an output when given x as input.
So a function does not state the equality between two things, but rather "transforms" a given input in some way

To sum up, I see equations as more "static", while functions are "interactive", in some way...

Boorglar said:
I think a distinction would be the following:

1 = 1
1 = 2*7 - 13

are equations (they state the equality between the left side and the right side) but you cannot really interpret them as functions, since there is nothing mapped into something else.

the exponential function is a mapping from R to R which gives e^x as an output when given x as input.
So a function does not state the equality between two things, but rather "transforms" a given input in some way

To sum up, I see equations as more "static", while functions are "interactive", in some way...
Or maps each element in the input set to an element in the output set, a function is just simply that mapping.

When you mention f(x) you are referring to an element in the output set; x is an element in the input set and f(x) is the element in the output set to which the function f maps x.

Short answer:
f(x)=x is an IDENTITY, not an equation, holding true for every choice of x.
It simply defines the function VALUES, and is not the function itself.

But then what are equations?

Equality is an equivalence relation defined on a set. An equation is then just a statement that two members of a set are equal. A function is something else entirely, being a mapping between sets.

arildno said:
Short answer:
f(x)=x is an IDENTITY, not an equation, holding true for every choice of x.
It simply defines the function VALUES, and is not the function itself.

The statement f(x)=x is an equation. It is stating that f(x) is equal to x. It is a statement of equality between f(x) and x and thus an equation.

(the function f defined by this equation is the identity function, often called the identity because it is a mapping of every element to itself)

Does that mean that something like "f(x) = mx + b" is a function being expressed as an equation?

V0ODO0CH1LD said:
Does that mean that something like "f(x) = mx + b" is a function being expressed as an equation?

I would say that it is a function being specified using an equation.

To make the distinction a bit more concrete...

x^2 + y^2 = 1 is an equation.

The set of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfies that equation is a relation.

The set of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfies that equation and has y >= 0 is a relation that is the graph of a function. [By some definitions, such a relation _is_ a function].

f(x) = sqrt(1-x^2) is a formulaic specification of that function.

Related to Are functions a subset of equations?

1. Are functions and equations the same thing?

No, functions and equations are not the same thing. While they are closely related, they serve different purposes in mathematics. An equation is a statement that shows the equality of two expressions, while a function is a relationship between an input and an output, where each input has only one corresponding output.

2. Can a function be represented as an equation?

Yes, a function can be represented as an equation. In fact, many functions are commonly written in the form of an equation, such as y = mx + b for a linear function or f(x) = x^2 for a quadratic function. However, not all equations represent functions, as some equations may have multiple solutions for a given input.

3. What is the difference between a function and an algebraic equation?

The main difference between a function and an algebraic equation is their purpose. A function is a mathematical relationship between an input and an output, while an algebraic equation is a statement of equality between two expressions. Additionally, a function can have multiple representations, while an algebraic equation is generally written in a specific form.

4. Can all equations be written as functions?

No, not all equations can be written as functions. Some equations, such as x^2 + y^2 = 1, do not represent a function because they have multiple solutions for a given input. In order for an equation to represent a function, each input must have only one corresponding output.

5. How are functions and equations used in real-world applications?

Functions and equations are used in various real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and many other fields. They can be used to model and predict various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, the growth of populations, or the distribution of wealth. In these applications, functions and equations help us to understand and analyze real-world situations in a mathematical way.