Are electrons bound to the nucleis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and role of electrons in chemical bonding and questions how we know that they are just part of a larger whole, known as the atom. The concept of electrons being "bound" to the nucleus is also clarified, noting that while they are attracted to the nucleus, they are not fixed in place. It is also mentioned that responding to those who help is considered polite.
IAmAnthony
I'm not questioning whether electrons exist or whether or not they have a role in chemical bonding. I'm just asking how we know the nucleis and electrons are just parts of a larger whole, aka the atom.

Physics news on Phys.org
IAmAnthony said:
I'm not questioning whether electrons exist or whether or not they have a role in chemical bonding. I'm just asking how we know the nucleis and electrons are just parts of a larger whole, aka the atom.
Welcome to PF!

The word "bound" implies they are fixed in place, which they aren't. However they are attracted to the nucleus and mostly kept in their orbitals/shells by electromagnetism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron#Atomic_theory

@IAmAnthony

Did Russ answer you question ?
do you need any other clarification ?

Responding to people who help you is the polite thing to do :smile:

Dave

Related to Are electrons bound to the nucleis?

What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and are found in the electron cloud surrounding the nucleus of an atom.

What does it mean for electrons to be bound to the nucleus?

Being bound to the nucleus means that the electrons are held in place by the attractive force between their negative charge and the positive charge of the protons in the nucleus.

Are all electrons bound to the nucleus?

No, not all electrons are bound to the nucleus. In some atoms, the electrons in the outermost energy level, known as the valence electrons, are not tightly bound and can be easily removed.

How do electrons stay bound to the nucleus?

Electrons stay bound to the nucleus due to the balance between the attractive force of the positive nucleus and the repulsive force of other electrons. Additionally, electrons also have a certain amount of energy that keeps them in orbit around the nucleus.

Can electrons become unbound from the nucleus?

Yes, electrons can become unbound from the nucleus through processes such as ionization or excitation. These processes involve adding or removing energy from the electron, allowing it to break free from the attractive force of the nucleus.