Are Eigenvectors of Unitary Transformations Orthogonal?

In summary: As U is complex, x and y might not be real numbers at all.In summary, if x and y are different eigenvalues of U, x*y<a,b>-<a,b>=0. If x and y are the same eigenvalue of U, x*y=1.
Ed Quanta

Homework Statement

Show that the eigenvectors of a unitary transformation belonging to distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal.

Homework Equations

I know that U+=U^-1 (U dagger = U inverse)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using a similar method to the proof which shows that the eigenvectors of hermitian transformations belonging to distinct eigenvalues are orthogonal.

So assume our eigenvectors are a and b. I assumed U(a)=xa and U(b)=yb

x<a|b>=<Ua|b>=<a|U^-1b>= ?

Help anyone. I know this probably isn't too rough.

Physics news on Phys.org
If U(a)=xa and you act on both sides with U^(-1), what does that say about eigenvectors of U^(-1)?

They are the reciprocals. U^(-1)a=1/x

So

x<a|b>=<Ua|b>=<a|U^-1b>=<a|(1/y)b>=1/y<a|b>

So (x - 1/y)<a|b>=0

Now how do I know x - 1/y cannot equal 0?

Be a little careful. You are probably dealing with a complex inner product. If it's real then this is fine. As U is orthogonal, what do you know about the absolute value of x and y?

Last edited:
The absolute values of x and y must be real.

HINT: The spectrum of a unitary operator in a complex Hilbert space is the unit circle...

<a,b>=<Ua,Ub>. Apply that to an eigenvector. As dextercioby says...

Ok, so I get that the norm of the eigenvalues must equal 1.

<a|b>=<Ua|Ub>=x*y<a|b>

x*y=1?

As I've said, be a little careful. You are correct in the case if U is real. But if U is complex, the condition is [tex]x^* y=1[/tex]. So if x=y, then [tex]x^* x=1[/tex] and the eigenvalues are unit complex numbers. How does this help you with the original problem?

So x*y does not equal 1 unless y=x.

Ed Quanta said:
So x*y does not equal 1 unless y=x.

If you mean x and y being real numbers with norm 1, then yes.

Last edited:
I'm still confused man. I want to show that x*y<a,b>-<a,b>=0

I want to show then that x*y does not equal 1. Where do the norms fit in?

Ed Quanta said:
So

x<a|b>=<Ua|b>=<a|U^-1b>=<a|(1/y)b>=1/y<a|b>

So (x - 1/y)<a|b>=0

Now how do I know x - 1/y cannot equal 0?

You've gotten this far and have assumed x and y are DIFFERENT eigenvalues of U. If U is real this is super easy, since x and y are both in the set {+1,-1} and DIFFERENT. What about U complex? Then you have to mend your ways and remember [tex]<c x,y>=c^*<x,y>[/tex].

Related to Are Eigenvectors of Unitary Transformations Orthogonal?

1. What is a unitary transformation?

A unitary transformation is a type of linear transformation in mathematics that preserves the length and angles of vectors. It is also known as a unitary operator or a unitary matrix.

2. How do you prove that a transformation is unitary?

A transformation can be proven to be unitary if it satisfies the condition that the inverse of the transformation is equal to its conjugate transpose. In other words, if U is a unitary transformation, then U-1 = U*, where U* is the conjugate transpose of U.

3. What are some properties of unitary transformations?

Unitary transformations have several important properties, including the preservation of inner product and orthogonality, as well as the conservation of eigenvalues and determinant. They also form a group under matrix multiplication.

4. How are unitary transformations used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, unitary transformations are used to represent the evolution of a quantum system over time. They are also used to transform quantum states from one basis to another, and to perform operations such as measurements and state preparation.

5. Can all transformations be expressed as a unitary transformation?

No, not all transformations can be expressed as a unitary transformation. Only transformations that preserve the length and angles of vectors can be considered as unitary transformations. Other types of transformations, such as non-linear transformations, cannot be represented by a unitary matrix.