Are Eddy Current Forces Always Opposing Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of eddy currents and whether or not they oppose the motion of a metal sheet in a uniform magnetic field. It is clarified that eddy currents only occur when there is a change in magnetic field, and a demonstration with an aluminum I-beam is mentioned. The conversation then shifts to discussing homopolar generators.
Rikki Lee
Hello, I'm not sure where to post this so I hope this is the right spot. It's not a homework question, just a concept I need to get straight before an exam ;)

If I'm pulling a sheet of metal through a uniform magnetic field (which is perpendicular to the sheets motion), Eddy currents are created - does the net force due to the eddy currents have to be opposing the motion?

Every example I can find about eddy currents says it's a force that acts like a break, and tries to oppose the motion, but I want to be 100% sure this is true :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are pulling a (non-magnetic) metal sheet in a uniform magnetic field, there are no eddy currents, and there is no force opposing the motion.

A while back, I was in a very large magnet (4 meter diameter pole tip, 1-meter gap) running at 1.5 tesla, and somebody handed me a 40 cm long section of aluminum I-beam (30 cm high by 10 cm wide) to put in the center of the magnet. Pulling the aluminum I-beam through the fringe field (large gradient) was like pulling it through molasses. It didn't want to move.

Rikki Lee said:
Hello, I'm not sure where to post this so I hope this is the right spot. It's not a homework question, just a concept I need to get straight before an exam ;)

If I'm pulling a sheet of metal through a uniform magnetic field (which is perpendicular to the sheets motion), Eddy currents are created - does the net force due to the eddy currents have to be opposing the motion?

Every example I can find about eddy currents says it's a force that acts like a break, and tries to oppose the motion, but I want to be 100% sure this is true :)

Thanks!

The opposition is known as Lenz's law which is an expression of the conservation of energy.The work done against the braking force is converted to electrical energy.

Bob S said:
If you are pulling a (non-magnetic) metal sheet in a uniform magnetic field, there are no eddy currents, and there is no force opposing the motion.

A while back, I was in a very large magnet (4 meter diameter pole tip, 1-meter gap) running at 1.5 tesla, and somebody handed me a 40 cm long section of aluminum I-beam (30 cm high by 10 cm wide) to put in the center of the magnet. Pulling the aluminum I-beam through the fringe field (large gradient) was like pulling it through molasses. It didn't want to move.

Are you sure about this? I believe a current is induced in the (non-magnetic) aluminum, the force comes from the field of the magnet and the induced field in the aluminum.

The link shows moving magnets, but "relatively speaking" the magnets could be fixed and the aluminum moving.

Link:

http://www.physics.umd.edu/deptinfo/facilities/lecdem/services/demos/demosk2/k2-42.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
From Bob S

jmatejka said:
Are you sure about this? I believe a current is induced in the (non-magnetic) aluminum, the force comes from the field of the magnet and the induced field in the aluminum.]
Agreed. I thought this is what I said or implied. But the B field either has to be nonuniform or varying with time [ -d/dt ∫B·n dA <>0] to get eddy currents. When I got the aluminum I-beam into the uniform central field of the magnet, it easily spun around a vertical axis. Getting it to lay down flat took some effort.
By the way, do you know how a homopolar generator works? A very large one was built at Canberra, AU. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator

Bob S said:
From Bob S

Agreed. I thought this is what I said or implied. But the B field either has to be nonuniform or varying with time [ -d/dt ∫B·n dA <>0] to get eddy currents. When I got the aluminum I-beam into the uniform central field of the magnet, it easily spun around a vertical axis. Getting it to lay down flat took some effort.
By the way, do you know how a homopolar generator works? A very large one was built at Canberra, AU. See
I think the field can be uniform the flux change resulting from the relative motion.

Dadface said:
I think the field can be uniform the flux change resulting from the relative motion.
If you are pulling an aluminum sheet in a uniform magnetic field, -d/dt ∫B·n dA =0, so there are no eddy currents. Visualize a 1-meter square aluminum sheet in the middle of a 4-meter diameter magnet. There will be eddy currents in a loop (circumference of area A) only if the magnetic field inside (linked by) that loop changes.

Bob S said:
If you are pulling an aluminum sheet in a uniform magnetic field, -d/dt ∫B·n dA =0, so there are no eddy currents. Visualize a 1-meter square aluminum sheet in the middle of a 4-meter diameter magnet. There will be eddy currents in a loop (circumference of area A) only if the magnetic field inside (linked by) that loop changes.

Yes I agree and I should have read your post more carefully and noticed the huge diameter of your magnet:rolleyes:I was thinking in terms of the aluminium entering or leaving the field.

Bob S said:
From Bob S

Interesting! Thanks for the link. I have also seen some bad/misunderstood science applied to the "aluminum repulsive magnet" usually a solenoid moving a piece of aluminum. Solenoid must be AC or variable frequency for this to work,(induce current).

A friend once told me his neighbor was going to get rich, because he invented an aluminum magnet ;)

On another note, I think? aluminum is paramagnetic and will be attracted to a powerful enough field, and almost all aluminum is an alloy containing other ferromagnetic materials.

Thanks again for the link, I may have to build this generator, (on a very small desktop scale ;)).

Last edited:
Okay I think I understand this now.

Eddy currents are only created when the magnetic flux is changing, correct?

And when the magnetic flux is changing, will the Eddy currents always have a net force in the direction opposing motion? (That's what I initially wanted to know, and I don't think this question has been answered yet :P)

Rikki Lee said:
Eddy currents are only created when the magnetic flux is changing, correct?
Yes, whenever the magnetic flux through the eddy current loop is changing.
And when the magnetic flux is changing, will the Eddy currents always have a net force in the direction opposing motion? (That's what I initially wanted to know, and I don't think this question has been answered yet :P)
I think I did answer it. When I tried to pull an aluminum object through the fringe field of a magnet, it felt like I was pulling it through molasses. This is equivalent to saying that there was an opposing force whenever I tried to move the object.
Bob S

Related to Are Eddy Current Forces Always Opposing Motion?

What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How are eddy currents created?

Eddy currents are created when a conductor is exposed to a changing magnetic field, either by moving the conductor through the field or by changing the strength of the magnetic field.

What is the force due to eddy currents?

The force due to eddy currents is the force exerted on a conductor by the induced eddy currents. This force is always in the opposite direction of the motion of the conductor, and it increases as the strength of the magnetic field or the velocity of the conductor increases.

How can eddy currents be minimized?

Eddy currents can be minimized by using materials with low electrical conductivity, such as laminated metal sheets, or by designing circuits to minimize changes in magnetic fields.

What are some practical applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents have many practical applications, including in electric motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in non-destructive testing methods to detect flaws in materials. Additionally, eddy currents are used in braking systems for trains and roller coasters.