Are early withdrawals from a Roth IRA subject to penalty and income tax?

In summary: If you are under the age of 59½ and you withdraw the earnings from your Roth IRA, you will have to pay both a penalty and income tax. In summary, the regulations state that any withdrawal of earnings prior to five years of opening the account AND prior to the age of 59½ will result in penalties and taxes. This means that if you withdraw the earnings before five years OR before the age of 59½, you will still have to pay penalties and taxes. The confusion may arise because the five years refers to the time since the first contribution was made, not five years from any specific event. The IRS provides a flowchart to determine the specific penalties and taxes that apply in each situation. It is important to understand the specific
skeptic2
The following is from regulations regarding setting up a Roth IRA

"Withdrawal of earnings prior to five years and age 59½ are subject to penalty and income tax."

I read that to mean:
Withdrawal of earnings (prior to five years) AND (prior to age 59½) are subject to penalty and income tax.

If I withdraw the earnings either prior to five years OR prior to age 59½, but not both, are they exempt from income tax?

Science news on Phys.org
Boolean AND/OR confusion aside, that sentence doesn't make sense to me. "Withdrawal of earnings prior to five years..." Five years of what? Retirement? It's not clear what they mean.

(As an aside: I'm fairly comfortable with math, but put a $ in front of the numbers and my brain flatlines!)

Checking on the IRS's website I found the following clarifications.
1. The five years is from Jan 1 of the year that the first contribution is made.
2. I found no statement similar to the above. Instead they provide a flowchart of all the possibilities showing whether taxes or penalties must be paid. In either case, prior to 5 years OR prior to age 59½ taxes and penalties apply.

It is amazing how easy it is for language to misrepresent the meaning. Could this be because OR in common usage usaually means either/or and AND often means and/or?

lisab said:
(As an aside: I'm fairly comfortable with math, but put a $ in front of the numbers and my brain flatlines!)

But isn't putting $ in front of a number signify that it is HEX :biggrin:

$A04E

The Roth IRA account has to be open for at least 5 years.

Related to Are early withdrawals from a Roth IRA subject to penalty and income tax?

What is language and boolean logic?

Language and boolean logic are two separate concepts that are often used together in computer science. Language refers to the system of communication used by humans, while boolean logic is a way of evaluating statements as either true or false.

Why is boolean logic important in computer science?

Boolean logic is important in computer science because it allows us to create logical statements and evaluate them to determine their truth or falsehood. This is crucial for writing computer programs, as it allows us to make decisions and control the flow of the program.

How is boolean logic used in programming languages?

Boolean logic is used in programming languages through the use of boolean operators such as AND, OR, and NOT. These operators are used to combine logical statements and evaluate their truth or falsehood.

What are the basic principles of boolean logic?

The basic principles of boolean logic include the concept of truth values (true or false), logical operators (AND, OR, and NOT), and logical statements (combinations of truth values and operators).

Can boolean logic be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, boolean logic can be applied to real-world situations. For example, it can be used in decision-making processes, such as determining the best course of action based on a set of conditions. It can also be used in problem-solving, as it allows for the breaking down of complex problems into smaller, more manageable components.