Are Costs Incurred When Posting/Editing? Just How Do People Make Money Online?

• Thread starter Tsu
  • Start date
In summary, the mentor has requested that full quotes not be posted in order to save space on the board. There are costs associated with every post that takes up database space, but it is not a significant amount. The purpose of the quote bbcode is to show which post or part of a post is being replied to, so it is not necessary to quote the entire post. The site generates income through member donations and advertisements. Advertisers pay for click-throughs on their ads, similar to TV commercials.
Tsu
Gold Member
I've seen a mentor request that we not post the full quote to which we are replying to save space on the board. This just takes up valuable space, if I understood correctly. Being so completely ignorant of what generates administrative costs on these boards, I am curious to know:

Are there costs incurred when a post is generated?

How about when you edit a post?

And in general:

Just how the heck do people make money on the internet with 'hits' on their site? Who pays them? (or am I incorrect in thinking that 'hits' generate income?) I JUST DON'T KNOW A DANG THING ABOUT IT! SOMEONE HE'P ME!

Physics news on Phys.org
Every post takes up database space which is turn costs us money. However, I don't think you need to worry about wasting money when you use a full quotes. It is fractions of a penny. From an aesthetics point of view it's a lot nicer if crop a large quote down to a paragraph and put "...". The point of the quote bbcode is to show members what post or what part of a posr you are replying to. You don't need to quote the complete three page post for people to understand that. Anyway, it's not a big deal. Carry on :)

No big deal indeed, just aesthetics. Quoting a HUGE picture which is posted in the post dìrectly previous to it, really can be annoying and doesn't serve a purpose. There are a view more examples, which just add to the redundancy and are not necessary.

Such things are very subjective, so judge yourself :)

Originally posted by Monique
No big deal indeed, just aesthetics. Quoting a HUGE picture which is posted in the post dìrectly previous to it, really can be annoying and doesn't serve a purpose. There are a view more examples, which just add to the redundancy and are not necessary.

Such things are very subjective, so judge yourself :)

That part I understood when you originally posted the suggestion, but then I got to wondering about the other things I mentioned above. So there is no charge per post or edit? And what about my last question? How is money generated by having a website like this? I've always wondered about this and no one I know has an answer. I thought THIS was the 'answer place'! It IS, isn't it?:wink:

In fact, weren't we planning to install that new software that charges the poster 1.3 cts per line per quote? :wink:

Originally posted by Tsunami
That part I understood when you originally posted the suggestion, but then I got to wondering about the other things I mentioned above. So there is no charge per post or edit? And what about my last question? How is money generated by having a website like this? I've always wondered about this and no one I know has an answer. I thought THIS was the 'answer place'! It IS, isn't it?:wink:

There is no charge for posting or edits. Money is generated from member donations and that annoying banner at the top :)

Originally posted by Monique
In fact, weren't we planning to install that new software that charges the poster 1.3 cts per line per quote? :wink:

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
There is no charge for posting or edits. Money is generated from member donations and that annoying banner at the top :)
Well, jeez Greg. Yer never going to get rich THAT way! But then, you ARE unique (no no no, NOT eunuch! ) and so is PF. I still want to how people actually make an actual living off the net... (grumble). Like just e-bay kind of stuff? Finding a 'product' and selling it in bulk?... I guess I was just always under the impression that 'hits' generated income, although I could never quite picture how this could happen... (more grumble).

It's called 'click-through'. Advertises pay per 'click-through'. Used to be that you could actually see how much they paid (maybe still; I've gotten lazy).

You want to get people to see piccies of zooby, Ivan, OR, rain, PF hunks, ...? Put up a website, and pay heavily visited site owners to put a very nice ad (of your own design) on their site. You then pay the referring site owner $0.0x per 'click-through' (plus maybe some set-up fee).

Now, aren't you kicking yourself that you didn't put in 100+ hour weeks to get a super-Google web search engine into commercial use, back in those long-forgotten dot.com days? :wink:

Originally posted by Nereid
It's called 'click-through'. Advertises pay per 'click-through'. Used to be that you could actually see how much they paid (maybe still; I've gotten lazy).

You want to get people to see piccies of zooby, Ivan, OR, rain, PF hunks, ...? Put up a website, and pay heavily visited site owners to put a very nice ad (of your own design) on their site. You then pay the referring site owner $0.0x per 'click-through' (plus maybe some set-up fee).

Now, aren't you kicking yourself that you didn't put in 100+ hour weeks to get a super-Google web search engine into commercial use, back in those long-forgotten dot.com days? :wink:
Uhhh...NO?!
But thanks for the info! So it's just advertisers who pay? Like TV?

Originally posted by Tsunami
Uhhh...NO?!
But thanks for the info! So it's just advertisers who pay? Like TV?
Yes, except only when there's a click-through (vaguely equivalent, I guess, to calling that 1800 number on your screen, now! for your important introductory offer! and we'll throw in a free! - mark my words, free! - mouse-smelling cat blanket! yes we truly will!).

Originally posted by Nereid
Yes, except only when there's a click-through (vaguely equivalent, I guess, to calling that 1800 number on your screen, now! for your important introductory offer! and we'll throw in a free! - mark my words, free! - mouse-smelling cat blanket! yes we truly will!).

WOWOWOWOWOW! FREE? REALLY?? REALLY REALLY FREE? FREE? FREE FOR MEE? WOW! COOL. IF IT'S FREE I'M ALL OVER IT! WHERE'E MY CREDIT CARD?? FREE? ARE YOU SURE? TOTALLY AND TRULY FREE?! (Do you have a cat-smelling dog blanket?)

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
From an aesthetics point of view it's a lot nicer if crop a large quote down to a paragraph and put "...". The point of the quote bbcode is to show members what post or what part of a posr you are replying to. You don't need to quote the complete three page post for people to understand that.

Exactly, there are many examples of long posts being quoted in full only to be followed by something brief like "I agree".

Use the quote function when you want to respond to a particular statement. If you're just responding in general, then no quote is needed. The quote function will put the entire text in the reply box, but you can delete the parts you are not referring to.

It makes the thread go smoother when you minimize the amount of unnecessary quoting.

thanks

the most annoying thing is when someone will quote a HUGE post and then reply with ' ' or ' '...whats the point?

Related to Are Costs Incurred When Posting/Editing? Just How Do People Make Money Online?

1. What are the costs involved in posting/editing online?

The costs involved in posting/editing online can vary depending on the platform and tools used. Some platforms, like social media sites, may be free to post and edit content on. However, if you are looking to build and maintain your own website, there may be costs involved such as purchasing a domain name, hosting fees, and potentially hiring a web developer.

2. Is there a way to make money online through posting and editing content?

Yes, there are many ways to make money online through posting and editing content. Some common methods include affiliate marketing, advertising, sponsored content, and selling digital products or services.

3. How do people make a living solely through posting and editing online?

Making a living solely through posting and editing online requires a combination of dedication, hard work, and strategic planning. It often involves building a strong online presence and audience, consistently creating high-quality content, and utilizing various monetization methods.

4. Are there any risks or downsides to posting and editing online for income?

Like any job or source of income, there can be risks or downsides to posting and editing online. These can include potential copyright or plagiarism issues, changes in algorithms or platform policies, and the need to constantly adapt to changing trends and competition.

5. Are there any skills or qualifications required for making money through posting and editing online?

While there are no specific qualifications required, having certain skills can greatly benefit those looking to make money through posting and editing online. These skills may include writing, graphic design, SEO, social media marketing, and project management. Additionally, having a strong understanding of online platforms and their algorithms can also be beneficial.