Diffraction & Interference problems

In summary: Sorry for my mistake. In summary, for problem 5, the wavelength of the light is 769.33 nm. This was found using the formula d sinθ = 1/2λ, with d = 0.374 mm, θ = 0.0589 degrees, and m = 1.
mustang
Problem 15.
By attaching a diffrection-grating spectroscope to an astronomical telescope, one can measure the spectral lines from a star and determine the star's chemicalcomposition. Assume the grating has 3224 slits/cm. The wavelength of the star's light is wavelength 1 = 463.200nm.
find the angle at which the second-order spectral line for wavelength 1 occurs. Answer in units of degrees.
How do you start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Regards on problems

Light falls on two slits spaced 0.374mm apart. The angle between the first dark fringe and the central maximum is 0.0589 degrees.
What is the wavelength of the light? Answer in units of nm.
Note: This is what i have done
d(sin thetha)=(m+1/2) * wavelength(or w)
(0.374e-3)(sin 0.0589)=(1+1/2)*w
256=w
is this right?

Problem 6. A sodium-vapor street lamp produces light that is nearly monochromatic. If the light shines on a wooden door in which there are two straight, parallel cracks, an interfernece pattern will form on a distant wall behind the door. The slits have a separation of 0.3740mm, and the second-order maximum occurs at an angle of 0.18046 degrees from the central maximum.
determine the wavelength of the light.
This is what I have done:
(0.3740e-3)(sin0.18046)=(2+1/2)*w
471 = w
Is this right?

mustang said:
Problem 5. ...
Note: This is what i have done
(0.374e-3)(sin 0.0589)=(1+1/2)*w
256=w
is this right?
No. The first dark fringe occurs for a path difference of 1/2λ, not (1 + 1/2)λ

Problem 6. ...
This is what I have done:
(0.3740e-3)(sin0.18046)=(2+1/2)*w
471 = w
Is this right?
No, same kind of problem. The second order maxima occurs for a path difference of 2λ.

You need to understand that the diffraction pattern goes like this: central max - dark fringe - 1st order maxima- dark fringe - 2nd order maxima... etc. Each maxima corresponds to another integral wavelength of path difference.

So for problem 5.

For problem 5. w=wavelength
(d)sin(thetha)=(m+1/2)*w
(0.374*10^-3)sin(0.0589)=1/2w
922 = w

mustang said:
For problem 5. w=wavelength
(d)sin(thetha)=(m+1/2)*w
I presume you mean: d sinθ = 1/2λ
(0.374*10^-3)sin(0.0589)=1/2w
922 = w
Check your arithmetic.

Whoops!

I rechecked my math and I found that w= does not equal 922 but 769.

What is diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference are both phenomena that occur when waves, such as light or sound waves, encounter an obstacle or pass through a narrow opening. Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles, while interference is the interaction of waves with each other, resulting in either reinforcement or cancellation.

What are some real-life examples of diffraction and interference?

One example of diffraction is when you hear sound from around a corner or through a closed door. This is because sound waves can bend around obstacles. An example of interference is when you see a rainbow, which is caused by the interference of light waves from the sun and water droplets in the air.

How do diffraction and interference affect the appearance of objects?

Diffraction and interference can cause objects to appear blurry or distorted. This is because when light waves are diffracted or interfere with each other, they create patterns of light and dark areas, which can alter the way we perceive an object's edges and details.

What factors can affect the amount of diffraction and interference that occurs?

The amount of diffraction and interference that occurs depends on several factors, including the wavelength and intensity of the waves, the size and shape of the obstacle or opening, and the distance between the source of the waves and the obstacle or opening.

What is the difference between single-slit and double-slit diffraction?

In single-slit diffraction, a single narrow opening is used to create a diffraction pattern. In double-slit diffraction, two parallel slits are used, which results in a more complex interference pattern. Double-slit diffraction is often used to study the wave-like nature of light.