Are Career Advisors Truly Ineffective for Aspiring Engineers?

• Thread starter garbiiiiis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary: I think I can manage.In summary, adance is considering a career in engineering and is looking for advice on a suitable career. He has good math and physics skills and is considering physics next semester. He has been through a bad experience with high school guidance counselors and is looking for advice on how to make the best of his situation.
garbiiiiis
Hello guys,
I just wanted to start by saying that this is my first ever post. I have been reading off this site for a long time now.

As the title is pretty clear about my problem with my school career advisors I won't jump into that.

I'm an 18 year old high school student (why am I still in hight school? Because of familly issues..)

Anyway after nor giving a thought about my career or life in general for almost 2 years, last summer I've really found out that I enjoy math and science! And that I'm pretty good at it.

I was thinking about choosing engineering as a career its just that I really can't figure out one type and to stick to it.

(I am an INTP btw)
I think my strong sides are
-i understand technical drawings, machines rerally well
-i need to know how everything works and is
-i love bridges, dams, the way highways are organised..
-i am comfortable visualising 3D stuff
-and I think anything science related is interesting( from electromagnetism to machines, etc..)

Just wanted some advice on a career that you guys whould think would suit me. Thanks from adance!

Ow and I just wanted some insights on how living in a dorm is. Financially, away from your gf..( Although the uni that I plan on going is only a 3 hour drive from where my girlfriend lives so I can still see her every weekend.) And is it even possible to go away from my studies every weekend with and engineering curriculum?

Thanks again any kind of info is good at this point :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

How good are your physics and math skills?

Last edited:

High school guidance counselors...I never had a good experience with them, either. They always asked me, 'so, what subject do you like most?' If it was math, they'd tell you to study math in college. If it's biology, they'd tell you to study biology in college. If it's working on cars, they tell you to become a mechanic...as if those things had never crossed my mind haha.

I'd agree with BloodyFrozen's question. If your math and physics skills are at least decent, a lot of the skills you mentioned would make you a good engineer. They need communications skills and have to visualize whether you can actually build something or fit a component inside another one realistically and effectively...a lot of us engineering students build awesome-looking parts in Solid Works, but that could never be feasibly constructed in any factory (on earth, at least...).

Well I'm planning on doing physics next semester ( staring next week)
But I had 85 in math ( I couldve gotten a better note if I studied..

But I read a lot of physics books. And I don't know if its me or my friends are different but I undertand physics consepts easily as opposed to my friends.

And thanks for reading BloodyFrozen

I would also like to say that engineering is not the only science-based career. Also, keep an eye out for other subjects you may like (chemistry, pure/applied math, physics, etc).

If you don't mind, may I ask you what level physics/math you are taking?

Yeah Daric Soldar, as soon as my couselor saw that I was above average in math he wrote on my guidance papers that I wanted be a math major..
I can't deny I am conng it but to just write that without telling me?? Lol

I'm sorry for not having any useful advice, but I'd also like to vent and say my counselors/advisors weren't very useful either. They wouldn't put me down directly, but they'd subtly try to "advise" me that an Ivy school was out of my league and that I should try being a radiologist or something. They were wrong about everything, and I'm definitely moving on to much better life prospectives than they had originally offered. Their excuse would probably be 'reverse psychology' or something to make me work harder, lol.

Ah, high school "guidance" counselors...what lovely memories I have of mine. He told me that I could not go to college because that's only for the "top students". (OK in all fairness I didn't attend school for several years, but still, a counselor should always encourage an enthusiastic young person!) He would shift the conversation over to his grandkids, pull out their pictures and go on and on about them. Just freakin' lovely.

I did eventually earn a BS in physics. It's good to hear others escaped their "guidance" counselors with high goals and ambitious life plans!

Btw: Going back home every weekend might be difficult. Engineering classes require more study time than you've ever experienced in high school.

Thanks a lot guys for your input.

Its going to be hard not to see may family, friends and gf every weekend. Do you still think I can still see them ever other weekend?

Also any thoughts on civil engineering?

And do you think a dyslexic person can excel in an above average difficulty field such as engineering or science?

garbiiiiis said:
Thanks a lot guys for your input.

Its going to be hard not to see may family, friends and gf every weekend. Do you still think I can still see them ever other weekend?

Also any thoughts on civil engineering?

And do you think a dyslexic person can excel in an above average difficulty field such as engineering or science?

I can't speak to the dyslexic issue. But since you did mention you're an INTP I think you'll really enjoy any engineering. CE is awesome :!).

Yes it's tough getting away from friends and family. You never know, maybe you'll be able to visit more often...but be sure to let your work schedule determine that. It's important to put school first, at this point in your life.

Another thing to remember - you will meet a lot of new friends, so it's not like you'll be alone.

garbiiiiis said:
I'm an 18 year old high school student (why am I still in hight school? Because of familly issues..)

In the US, it's normal for an 18 year old to be still in high school, depending on what part of the year your birthday is in.

I'm from Quebec, we graduate high school at 17, then we go to college for 2 year and finaly university..

And I'm not really conserned about my friends, its really my girlfriend as I feel like she's "the one". You know what they say about long distance relationships... I don't want to lose her although I get that at this point and after all I went through my career is maybe more important..
I guess if its meant to be we'll make it through.

Any additional comments, advices or thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks again to the prrevious posters

garbiiiiis said:
I'm from Quebec, we graduate high school at 17, then we go to college for 2 year and finaly university..

And I'm not really conserned about my friends, its really my girlfriend as I feel like she's "the one". You know what they say about long distance relationships... I don't want to lose her although I get that at this point and after all I went through my career is maybe more important..
I guess if its meant to be we'll make it through.

Any additional comments, advices or thoughts would be appreciated!
Thanks again to the prrevious posters

Is it possible that she could move to be nearer to you?

Related to Are Career Advisors Truly Ineffective for Aspiring Engineers?

1. What is the role of a career advisor?

A career advisor is a professional who assists individuals with career-related decisions and can provide guidance and resources to help them achieve their career goals. They can offer advice on job search strategies, resume writing, networking, and career development.

2. Are career advisors really worthless?

No, career advisors can provide valuable insights and support for individuals navigating the job market. While it ultimately depends on the individual's needs and the quality of the career advisor, many people have found success and fulfillment through the guidance of a career advisor.

3. How can a career advisor help me?

A career advisor can help you by providing personalized guidance and resources tailored to your specific career goals and needs. They can offer advice on job search strategies, help you identify your strengths and weaknesses, and provide support and encouragement throughout your career journey.

4. Is it worth paying for a career advisor?

It depends on your individual situation and needs. If you are feeling lost or unsure about your career path, investing in a career advisor can be beneficial as they can provide personalized guidance and resources to help you reach your goals. However, if you feel confident in your career decisions and have access to other resources, paying for a career advisor may not be necessary.

5. Can a career advisor guarantee me a job?

No, a career advisor cannot guarantee you a job. However, they can provide you with the necessary tools and guidance to increase your chances of finding employment. Ultimately, securing a job depends on a variety of factors, such as your qualifications, experience, and the job market.