Are blocks (billets) of metal crystals?

In summary, the conversation discusses the crystalline form of aluminum and whether or not it is considered a crystal structure. It is explained that aluminum is both a crystalline form and a metallic bond, and that other metals also have similar properties. The photo provided shows an aluminum block in a polycrystalline state with visible grain boundaries. It is also mentioned that the corrosion of brass in a urinal can serve as an example of probability distribution and the importance of hand washing.
Jbcourt
I work as a machinest and Mill mostly aluminum. I was wondering if the billets are Aluminum its crystalline form? Or just lots of Aluminum atoms held together by Metallic bond?

thank you.

Attached is a photo of Aluminum Block.

Attachments

• 2010-07-23 11.29.32_Sumner_Washington_US.jpg
    2010-07-23 11.29.32_Sumner_Washington_US.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoyed the picture.
The answer is both. Metallic bonds are when the metal atoms are held in a crystal structure, sharing a 'sea' of electrons. If you would call this a "crystalline state (form)" is semantics... and up to interpretation. A crystal structure is just a highly regular one (i.e. based on repeating units), which a metal is; a 'crystal' is generally a substance in a crystal structure, that often isn't (e.g. carbon is usually in the form of graphite, or coal, or whatever, rarely in a crystal; or quartz--which is the crystal form of silica[sand]).

Thank you zhermes.

I have always wondered about this and couldn't get the answer I wanted from the open net.

O'yeah, are all other metal like this also?

The aluminum block (along with all common metals in bulk form) is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycrystal" , made up of many individual crystals, or grains, with sizes typically 10 nm - 100 μm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapes said:
sizes typically 10 nm - 100 μm.

Not always, my old chemistry teacher was fond of pointing out the brass door pushes in the school latrine were so etched by uric acid that the grain boundaries were clearly visible.

The grains were up to an inch across.

Neat!

You can hardly find better examples of (1) corrosion and (2) probability distribution of aim than at a urinal. :eek:

I think it was mainly unwashed hands.
The trail extended several fire-doors down the corridor.

Related to Are blocks (billets) of metal crystals?

1. What are blocks (billets) of metal crystals?

Blocks (billets) of metal crystals are solid pieces of metal that have a crystalline structure. This means that the atoms in the metal are arranged in a repeating pattern, giving the metal its unique physical and chemical properties.

2. How are blocks of metal crystals formed?

Blocks of metal crystals are usually formed through a process called solidification. This occurs when molten metal cools and solidifies, causing the atoms to arrange themselves into a crystalline structure. Other methods of forming metal crystals include casting and powder metallurgy.

3. What are the properties of blocks of metal crystals?

The properties of blocks of metal crystals vary depending on the type of metal and its crystalline structure. Generally, metal crystals are strong, ductile, and have high melting points. They also have good electrical and thermal conductivity.

4. How are blocks of metal crystals different from other forms of metal?

Blocks of metal crystals are different from other forms of metal, such as sheets or wires, because of their unique crystalline structure. This structure gives the metal different physical and chemical properties, making it suitable for different applications.

5. What are the uses of blocks of metal crystals?

Blocks of metal crystals have a wide range of uses in various industries. They are commonly used in manufacturing processes, such as forging and casting, to create parts and components for machinery and equipment. They are also used in electronics, construction, and transportation industries.