Are Bessel Functions Differentiable at Boundary Conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of constants for a solution to a differential equation involving Bessel functions. To ensure differentiability at the border, the continuity and differentiability conditions are set up using the functions R_1 and R_2. However, in the case of extreme similarity between the two functions, a smooth connection is not possible and a linear combination of Bessel and Neumann functions is needed.
dikmikkel

Homework Statement

I want to make sure that a solution to a differrential equation given by bessel functions of the first kind and second kind meet at a border(r=a), and it to be differenitable. So i shall determine the constants c_1 and c_2

I use notation from Schaums outlines

Homework Equations

The functions:
[itex]R_1 = c_1J_\gamma(\kappa r),\hspace{8pt}r\in [0,a]\\
R_2 = c_2K_\gamma(\sigma r),\hspace{8pt}r\in[a,b][/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the solution to be continuous at r=a:
[itex] c_1J_\gamma(\kappa a) = c_2K_\gamma(\sigma a)[/itex]
For it to be differentiable:
[itex] c_1J'_\gamma(\kappa a) = c_2K'_\gamma(\sigma a)[/itex]
I tried taking the determinant of the matrix describing the system at set it equal to zero, but i didn't seem to work. I also know from another part of the problem, that [itex]\gamma\in\mathbb{Z}[/itex]
But is there a trick I've missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the extreme case of σ = [itex]\kappa[/itex], what you try to do is impossible. You can't expect a Bessel function to smoothly connect to a Neumann function, in the general case, you can only expect a Bessel function to connect smoothly with a linear combination of Bessel and Neumann functions. (Incident+Reflected=Transmitted)

Yeah my teacher said so too. He mentioned that of course the contuinity should be at the tangential field, not the radial. But thanks for the help.

Related to Are Bessel Functions Differentiable at Boundary Conditions?

What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that is used to solve differential equations in a variety of fields, including physics and engineering. It is named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

What is the continuity condition for Bessel functions?

The continuity condition for Bessel functions states that the function must be continuous at the origin (x=0) and at infinity (x=∞). This means that the value of the function at these points must be finite and not jump or have any sharp changes.

Why is continuity important for Bessel functions?

Continuity is important for Bessel functions because it allows for the smooth and consistent behavior of the function. Without continuity, the function may have abrupt changes or infinite values at certain points, which can lead to erroneous or undefined solutions when used to solve differential equations.

What happens if the continuity condition is not met for Bessel functions?

If the continuity condition is not met for Bessel functions, it can lead to incorrect solutions or even no solutions at all when used to solve differential equations. This is because the function may have abrupt changes or infinite values at certain points, which can affect the overall behavior of the solution.

Are there different types of continuity for Bessel functions?

Yes, there are different types of continuity for Bessel functions, including pointwise continuity, uniform continuity, and Lipschitz continuity. Pointwise continuity refers to the continuity at individual points, while uniform continuity refers to the continuity over a range of values. Lipschitz continuity is a stronger form of continuity that takes into account the rate of change of the function.